bds1984

Snow blade down pressure?

bds1984

Is it possible to have down pressure on my snow plow? I just installed a plow on my 520 and I swear I've seen and read about this before. Doesn't it involve replacing the chain on the rockshaft with a 1/4 or 5/16 inch bar? Any pictures and dimensions?

gwest_ca

This manual shows the lift links on about page 5.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1988-blade-dozer-48in-1993-1994-79350-300-series-om-snpdf/

The long lift link is identified as part number 7706 but recall an issue with it clearing the steering mechanism if you have the gear reduction steering on the later 520 models.

Do a search of the forums using 7706. Look for this series of posts for dimensions.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/gallery/image/6569-wheel-horse-part-7706-solid-lift-bar/

Garry

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

wheelhorseman sells them. There is a post in the vendor section.

I put one on my 520 and had issues with it hitting the steering gear, but I don't have the 520 extension kit for my plow. I extended the lift point back about 3 inches so the link could move straight up and down and the problem was solved. I can lift the front of my 520 with it.

Tim Bergfeld

I bought one from him and now my 416 will lift the front end off the ground. He is great to deal with. I won't go anywhere else for something now without checking to see if he sells it. He has them on his vendor page here on redsquare.

bds1984

I purchased one from him on Tuesday.... Now it is just the hardest part ahead, the waiting...  How high will it lift the front end off the ground?

DennisThornton

I love having down pressure but so far I've not lifted the tractor up, 'course I using the StrongArm lift!  Honestly, I don't want a hydro for this usage.  I really like the feel and feedback of doing it by hand.
Great for scraping snow and ice!  You won't regret it!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I've never measured, but probably 3 inches or so. Enough to spin the front tires. 

953 nut

Funny, we have one thread going on the subject of front tire traction while plowing snow and another on down-force lifting the front tires,go figure!     :ychain:   :ROTF:

• Like 6

Tim Bergfeld

I am not sure I have always been on mine pushing dirt when I was doing it. But I think about four inches or so

cheesegrader

I use the solid bar for downpressure when pushing a big, new load of gravel or mulch, but don't use it for snow anymore.
It makes steering very loose.  It doesn't do any better clearing hard pack or ice than using the chain, and it seemed to make the scraper bar wear down really fast.
It also transmits shock to the linkages if there is no float.  Sheared off a lot of pins.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I purchased one from him on Tuesday.... Now it is just the hardest part ahead, the waiting...  How high will it lift the front end off the ground?

I'm guessing you know by now, his shipping was super fast last time I dealt with him!

bds1984

Yes. Shipping was fast.  The link is installed and I can lift the front tires off the ground about an inch now.  Now just to wait for the snow...

• Like 1

JP 141

Similar topic...I have a 78 C141, about then wheelhorse went with the chain lift, which pi**es me off...any suggestions for operating a plow ?

wheelhorsebo

i got a steel lift bar for my 310-8 it lets you put down pressure and makes it lift higher and easier. go look on ebay there is a guy makes then for wheel horse

Tankman

This might help.

Dozer-Blade-Lifts.jpg

Edited by Tankman