jimkemp

REAR AXLE ?

jimkemp

My axles in the rear end I have side in and out about 3/8" on both sides , is this normal ?

Ed Kennell

That's a lot....1/8" is normal.

Racinbob

Yup, that seems excessive. What model are we talking about here?:)

Edited by Racinbob

jimkemp

Its a 5060 8spd with 1 1/8" axles

squonk

Jim, I checked the 5060 in my 1267. The axles have about 1/4" in and out movement. If you think you can't use that trans, bring it back and I'll refund all your money and you can keep the mule drive for your trouble.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

If there was something wrong with those axles sliding, it "would only be"...if you could pull them all the way out.  The 10 pinion limited slip has a little extra room for the axles to move.  If you can't pull them out, they are OK.  :)

• Like 2

pfrederi

I believe that tranny uses Snap rings to hold the axles in place.  If the groves in the axles (or the snap rings themselves)are worn it will allow more end play.

• Like 1

jimkemp

Jim, I checked the 5060 in my 1267. The axles have about 1/4" in and out movement. If you think you can't use that trans, bring it back and I'll refund all your money and you can keep the mule drive for your trouble.

No Mike this is not on the axle I got from you , my 120 tractor has that same axle in it just like the one I got from you , that's what made me look at the 120 when I was looking at the one from you and the one from you doesn't have as much play , the 5060 from you seems to be fine with only about 1/8" play and my 120 has about 3/8" and I was just checking if I have a problem with my plow tractor and if I do I want to fix it before that white stuff starts falling

• Like 1

squonk

Well that's good news ( for me anyways):) Wish I had more trans parts to help you out.

• Like 1

jimkemp

Well that's good news ( for me anyways) Wish I had more trans parts to help you out.

I think I am going to put the axle from you in my plow tractor just to be safe , last thing I want to do is change the axle when its snowing like crazy and no back up tractor to plow , I have to work on that back up plan for a plow tractor

• Like 1

stevasaurus

If you are talking a 5060 transmission, one axle is longer then the other...just so ya know.  :)  Maybe, that is why you have that slack...you have two of the short axles in there.  The difference between the axles is only 1/4".  :eusa-think:

I am editing this post because the stuff in RED is not correct thinking.  RacinBob pointed me in the right direction on that.  :)  Thank You Bob.  If you had both axles being short, it would appear in a difference in the length that stuck out of the axle housing...it would not be slack inside the differential.  Sorry...being dyslexic gets me every time...I really have to take the time to look at things a bunch of ways before I type something.  :eusa-think:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1