stevecobb76

off the wall hydraulics idea?

stevecobb76

After i did a little research online. The inside of hydraulic pump looks identical to a couple pressure washer pumps that I have rebuilt.
can anyone tell me why I could not interchange them?
my thought is that the oil is thicker and if I ran it through a pressure washer pump, it would probably be harder on the pump itself and possible make higher flow / pressure than rated at the cost of more wear and tear on the pump itself???
but why could I not use a 1500 psi or 2500 psi pressure washer pump for a hydraulic system on a tractor with hydraulic oil????

I know, off the wall. but I have 4 of these pumps just sitting there on my bench. and I have a 4000 and 3500 already running so I dont need the extras.

doc724

Seals might be the problem.  Different fluids require different elastomers.  I am not familiar with high pressure water pumps.  How much CFM can a high pressure water pump deliver and how does that match up to the needs of a oil based hydraulic system?  Also, hydraulic systems are closed, meaning the oil gets hot.  Are water pumps a closed system or open?  Just something to think about.

mikekot3

A hydraulic pump delivers a large volume of oil not 2500 psi and low volume.

953 nut
:angry-devil:    If you want to try it I'm willing to watch! I doubt that it will work, but I have been wrong before.    :wwp:
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

What mikekot3 said!

Your on your way to have a high pressure but low volume hydraulic pump.  It will very slowly blow all of you hydraulic lines!

bmsgaffer
:text-yeahthat:  Most pressure washer pumps are 2gpm or less, you can come across them up to 5gpm or so.

Another big point is that most pressure washer pumps are designed to have a pressurized input (your garden hose provides 10-30psi usually), they are not designed to suction or scavenge for fluid and thus will cavitate and probably self destruct.

Also the pressure orifaces are designed for water, oil will be much thicker and thus will not flow as fast and probably build up so much pressure that your pump will either lock up or break itself...

Not saying you shouldnt try it... please video it if you do... just giving some more theory to it. :handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 1