jimkemp

My 656 resto mod project

AMC RULES
Looks like you've got a good handle on the process...
and, you're already well on your way.
   :handgestures-salute:
  • Like 2

Wishin4a416

A very nice style tractor to redo. I'm sure it will look great. Will be watching.

• Like 3

squonk

Very nice work table too Jim! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

jimkemp

I had to do the table before I started the tractor , I don't like bending over to work on stuff

• Like 1

953 nut
:text-bravo:    I like your attitude, you can't expect quality results if you take shortcuts.  Thanks for sharing.    :text-coolphotos:
  • Like 3

KC9KAS

Looks like you have everything under control for the WH make-over.
Thanks for the photos and keep us updated on your progress! :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

daveoman1966

The 1st Wheelhorse I ever owned came with house we bought in Aug 1971.  We paid $14,200 for the little house on 2 acres of grass which included that little 656 .... with a mower deck and snow plow.  Long ago sold the house and still wish I would have kept that little 656.  After a few years though, I traded up to a Bronco 14 and like it as well.
Anyway....  If you need any parts for the 656, gimme a shout.   

• Like 1

jimkemp

I got started tonight on getting the frame cleaned up and worked on getting the rear hubs off the axle , WOW did those hubs fight me coming off , but I won , the hard part of cleaning the frame now starts with a good power wash and then sand blast the inside of the frame and weld up all the holes that I wont be using when I start putting it back together , looked at the front axle mounting pin and its about all worn out , not sure what I am going to do there yet but I know I need to do something with it as it is pretty loose  , thinking machine out the holes and install bearing but that will come later 2015_656_restoration_frame001.thumb.jpg.2015_656_restoration_frame002.thumb.jpg.

• Like 2

953 nut

I bet you are loving that work table!   :text-bravo:If you can find a piece of brass round stock the size of the pivot pin and insert it in the hole it can be welded up and the weld won't adhere to the brass.

• Like 1

jimkemp

I bet you are loving that work table!   :text-bravo:If you can find a piece of brass round stock the size of the pivot pin and insert it in the hole it can be welded up and the weld won't adhere to the brass.

That table is the best thing I have built in a while , just need to find the time to go get a sheet of 1/2" plywood so the top is one piece , all I had at the time was the two pieces so I used them , as far as the holes I really like bushing or bearing , if I weld it up I will still have medal to medal that's just going to wear out again , I think I can do it so you wont see that there is a bushing in there to keep it looking stock

• Like 1

jimkemp

got a little more done on the 656 , I put bronze bushing for the front axle pin and for the clutch rod that goes through the frame , sorry for the crappy pictures2015_656_mock_up_of_frame_and_bushing0022015_656_mock_up_of_frame_and_bushing0012015_656_mock_up_of_frame_and_bushing003

• Like 6

jimkemp

Well my new tires got here so its time to get the wheels cleaned up and painted , found this paint stripper at Lowes and this stuff works great , its Jasco premium paint and epoxy remover and takes the paint right off , if you try this make sure you wear heavy rubber gloves as this stuff if very strong , hopefully be painting the wheels tonight and getting the new shoes ready for my resto horse2015_new_tires_and_wheel_stripping_for_62015_new_tires_and_wheel_stripping_for_6

2015 new tires and wheel stripping for 656001.jpg

• Like 4

Terry M

Have you thought about splitting the transmission and checking it out?  Easy to take apart and fix the 656's 5053 unidrive if anything is wrong.And If all the bearings are good, then at the very least, clean everything up  replace the seals , maybe a new shifter boot and it'll be just like new.   Will give you a piece of mind that your trans is in good shape.

Just a suggestion...:)  

• Like 1

jimkemp

Have you thought about splitting the transmission and checking it out?  Easy to take apart and fix the 656's 5053 unidrive if anything is wrong.And If all the bearings are good, then at the very least, clean everything up  replace the seals , maybe a new shifter boot and it'll be just like new.   Will give you a piece of mind that your trans is in good shape.

Just a suggestion...  

I ran this tractor around before it was taken apart and the trans worked just fine , I did put all new seals on all shafts and drained the oil out of the trans and it came out pretty clean with no signs of metal so I am pretty sure the trans is ready to go

• Like 3

jimkemp

Well I got my 656 frame paint and ready to start bolting on parts , need to get going on this project as I want to put a snow blade on it to go along with my c120 with the blower , the blower is nice but I miss being able to plow snow to , and yes I need a new camera , the color is IH red from tractor supply , more to come laterDSC02261.thumb.JPG.d48e82bcc7aa0052d29dc

• Like 4

jimkemp

Well my horse is back on her feet , some more paint work and I can start putting the body onDSC02262.thumb.JPG.50a338560c21f09e8fc00DSC02265.thumb.JPG.835d7d566d30855256fb1

• Like 8

Terry M

Looking Good...I like the front tires:handgestures-thumbupright:.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Looks like a great start to an awesome worker!

jimkemp

Some more pictures of my project , body is coming together , and yes I put the tie rods on the wrong side of the steering arm , just got in a hurry but they have to come off to be painted later anyway DSC02268.thumb.JPG.1515b68bdfdb0664e5bfbDSC02267.thumb.JPG.bbccd60f7100e82bfeadfDSC02269.thumb.JPG.33373253eabd32c03b01b

• Like 7

jimkemp

I got the frame plate mounted tonight and the motor set on , progress is slow but still moving forwardDSC02272.thumb.JPG.c4d36cf9190f9e555ea29DSC02274.thumb.JPG.7fdeb4f55cf2fe44ed8b1

• Like 9

Terry M

Looking Good!!:handgestures-thumbupright:.......The Engine..K-91?

jimkemp

Yup , K91 and I am going to change the pulley size on the trans to give the little girl some help in the power dept

Pullstart

The :wh: story... a never ending mix of options and points of view!  Great work, whoda thunk to use a mini mill for power :handgestures-thumbupright:  I bet that will be a blast to put around on!

• Like 1

jimkemp
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

The :wh: story... a never ending mix of options and points of view!  Great work, whoda thunk to use a mini mill for power :handgestures-thumbupright:  I bet that will be a blast to put around on!

Well this tractor came with a 6hp , so going to a 4hp that is bored .020 over and a reground cam to help with the HP should work ok I think , if I find later that its not enough power I will then change out the stock carb to a racing go kart carb and then would be well above the 6hp mark , its only going to be pushing a small snow plow that I am going to fab up once the tractor is done that will be about half the weight for a stock wheel horse plow , My C120 will do all the hard work with the snow blower and this one will do the clean up work

• Like 3