doublet

Traded for this Tractor

doublet

Traded for this tractor yesterday and I need some information on it. Exactly what is this tractor model and year. I will need to find correct seat and tires and wheels for it. Any information is appreciated

wheelhorse 1.jpg

Wheelhorse Serial 62-2933.PNG

• Like 3

slammer302

if i had to guess i would say 1962 looks like a 7hp kohler as well

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 1

doublet

Is it a 702?

prondzy

Yes it looks like you have a 702. Nice score!

AMC RULES
Early # 702 too, with the bent shifter.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevasaurus

It is a 702 1962...the serial # is below my 62-4216, but the bent shifter (if that is what Craig was referring to) is not a sign of early 1962.  Actually, the 702 first came with a straight shifter...the HY-2 (hydrolic lift) was an option first and the kit came with the bent shifter to make room for the canister that held the oil...which mounted on the tower where your sticker is.  I think after a while the 702's just came with the bent shifter, or maybe someone just changed it out during the years.  Nice looking horse...the 702 is a keeper for sure.  :)
Welcome to Red Square.  Are you looking to make this a correct horse?  I see some things wrong, but I do not want to pick it apart if you are just going to use it.  If you want to know what is and is not correct, we can help you with that.  It looks to have been re-painted.  Take a good look at the squares in the front of the hood on both sides.  My guess is the someone painted over the Wheel Horse Logo stickers that would be there.  If you can see that they have been painted over...take some Acetone on a rag and gently loosen the paint and you can uncover without hurting the stickers.  There should be a 702 sticker in the indented square on the belt guard also.  BTW, that belt guard looks to have been built out from where it should be for some reason.
Do you know any history on this horse??  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 4

AMC RULES
@stevasaurus
I was referring to Garry's list of documented 702 serial #'s. 
His list show's the bent shifter starting around #2856...
and, considering his #'s go well into the 20K's, seems 2933 is still pretty early in production run to me...   

but, the good Lord knows...I'm not one of the :wh: authorities around here.    :handgestures-salute:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1044-tractor-1962-502-552-702-suburban-da-om-ipl-wiring-snpdf/
  • Like 2

Digger 66

Man , you guys know your sh...sh...sh... stuff !

• Like 1

stevasaurus
I'm not one of the :wh: authorities around here.    :handgestures-salute:      @AMC RULES

Neither am I...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.  :)
  • Like 8

AMC RULES
...and played a dinosaur...in real life? barney-leaping.jpg

• Like 6

doublet

Yes, I would like to make it back as original as possible. Here is what the guy I got it from said: He owned it years ago and had someone repaint it for him. He said they removed all of the stickers except what is on it now. He sold it to someone who started using it as a pulling tractor (yeah, I know). The rear wheels were filled with water for weight. I removed them. I think what I will need to start with is the correct wheels. It appears to me someone messed with the front axle also. Any direction you can give me to find the correct wheels and seat would be a great start. What size were the original wheels and tires and how hard are they to come by?

I will post some more pictures later tonight.

Thanks

Also as soon as I have time I will pull the cover off to see why it is extended out.

953 nut
:WRS:             The owner's manual has a lot of good info for you, take a look. Also, if you go to the "Gallery" you can see lots of photos of tractors like yours.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1044-tractor-1962-502-552-702-suburban-da-om-ipl-wiring-snpdf/
:text-welcomeconfetti:
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
The following is the 702 image file, for your reference. 
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/5710-1962-702/
From the factory, front tire size should be 4.00-8, rears are 6-12's...
appears you'll be needing a square seat pan, and another gas cap. 
Also, that extra piece of metal, mounted to the right side of your trans tunnel...
that your belt cover is screwed into, has me curious as to what that is all about. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 3

doublet

Probably a lot of other stuff too! How hard are the correct parts to come by? Here are the pictures. Will take cover off tonight. Thanks for your help! It is appreciated

WH1 (2).jpg

WH1 (3).jpg

WH1 (4).jpg

WH1 (5).jpg

WH1 (6).jpg

WH1 (7).jpg

WH1 (1).jpg

WH1 (8).jpg

• Like 4

Wishin4a416

Nice looking machine. Looks to be in good shape.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Parts shouldn't be too difficult to find...
I see you searching Ebay for some of your parts needs...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=wheel+horse&_sop=10
others, you'll source from our forum classifieds here, 
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/131-classifieds/
still others, from our very own :rs:vendors who support us with our :wh: needs. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/92-vendors/     :eusa-clap:

• Like 2

doublet

Here are the other pictures. I have no idea of why they extended it unless they put bigger idlers on the tractor for pulling purposes. Thank you for your help so far. I know very little about wheel horse tractors. I have always collected C###'s (blanked out due to respect for the forum). Not, that I would want to sale it anyway but how collectable is the 702. May determine exactly how far I want to go with the restoration.

Thank You for your time and effort so far. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Terry

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

• Like 1

953 nut
:eusa-think:        Since this was being used as a puller they may have figured the extra idlers were needed. I think the input pulley on the trans looks a little smaller than it should be, done for more speed no doubt. I don't have a 702 to compare it to but others may give you the size. 

:twocents-02cents:      As far as the return on investment for a first class restoration goes I wouldn't be too optimistic, just build it to your level of satisfaction and enjoy it. Very few of the early '60s :wh: are real hard to come by, but most of us enjoy collecting any of them.

PS;  please secure the gas line a little better.
  • Like 3

doublet

Thank You for your time and advice. I fully understand and I have never built a tractor planning on selling it for a profit. I just have never owned a Wheel Horse but am looking forward to finding many more if possible.

The Gas line will be a priority! :D

RedRanger

Thank You for your time and advice. I fully understand and I have never built a tractor planning on selling it for a profit. I just have never owned a Wheel Horse but am looking forward to finding many more if possible.

The Gas line will be a priority! :D

As said, I wouldn't see you building this for resale at any profit, but if it were mine I'd have no problem putting money into it as a keeper.
Very cool tractor.

Looks like the front wheels are off a Lawn Ranger and possibly the front axle.  Done to drop the front for pulling I'm sure.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I think the input pulley on the trans looks OK...it should measure 4".  The engine pulley should measure 2", and that looks OK also.  Actually, I kind of like what they did with the 2 large idler pulleys (that is why the guard was built out).  If that system works OK (no grinding when shifting into gear from neutral) I think I would leave it alone. 
How about a picture of your front axle??  From what I can see, it looks correct.  Sometimes, guys that pull will turn that axle over to lower the front end even more.  :)  You might be able to find a correct looking gas cap at NAPA...maybe for a Jeep.  Other then tires and rims, you really are not looking for much here, and you can sell the tires and rims you have.
Geez, you are out in the middle of nowhere.  :)  I was thinking that we have a number of members in Missouri that you might hook up with if you were closer to Tulsa.  We do have a few members in OK though.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

doublet

axle (3).jpg

• Like 2

WH nut

If you plan on running it very long I would get all the engine tins put back on it. You will over heat the motor if you don't.

953 nut

Front end looks OK, just has aftermarket 4" wheels. It would have come from the factory with 4.00 X 8 tires, but if you like the look of the 4" wheels that's fine too.

doublet

Front end looks OK, just has aftermarket 4" wheels. It would have come from the factory with 4.00 X 8 tires, but if you like the look of the 4" wheels that's fine too.

The ones on it a too small for my taste. Will be replacing them with something else. Thanks for the information!

If you plan on running it very long I would get all the engine tins put back on it. You will over heat the motor if you don't.

I will