Xjchief

414-8 lift arm loose

Xjchief

My brother has a 414-8 that he just picked up for 400$ with deck and plow and weights. The only problem is the lift arm has a lot of play in it. The po clearly hit something with the plow on it. So looking at it the Sheetmetal dash tower seems to be ok but is there a bushing of some sort for the lift arm shaft? The hole where it goes through the dash tower is not oblong or cracked it just looks like the bushing is gone. The passenger side seems ok it's just the drivers side. Are these a pita to change? And are these parts still available? Any help is greatly appreciated.

gwest_ca
http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/31-14k801-414-8-toro-414-8-garden-tractor-1986/manual-lift-linkage/

The bellcrank item 19 should slide off but will bet it is rusted to the shaft. Start soaking it now with a good penetrating oil.

Garry

daveoman1966
I have all of the parts to repair the bell crank and lift arm....  just lemme know what you need and I'll reply.

416-8 lift.gif

Edited by daveoman1966

fast88pu

I have a complete lift assembly and tower off a 414-8 if interested Pm me

Xjchief

ok great ill take it apart and see what i need thanks

953 nut
:eusa-think:   if you think the PO has been ramming into thing you may want to take a look at the plate on the frame where the trans axle bolts up; they are prone to cracking.

Xjchief

Yea that was the first thing I checked and surprising it's ok shockingly enough 

N3PUY
The bushing gets stuck to the shaft and then the bushing rotates in the sheet metal making a lose fit.  So the bushing is not tight in the hole.   When you get it apart that's probably what you'll see.  Then punch the metal around the hole so the bushing fits tight.   I've even tack welded the bushing in place.   Let us know what you find.

Joe

Xjchief
I have all of the parts to repair the bell crank and lift arm....  just lemme know what you need and I'll reply.

416-8 lift.gif

so it looks like part # 16 on the handle side is worn do you have one?

Edited by Xjchief

Xjchief
The bushing gets stuck to the shaft and then the bushing rotates in the sheet metal making a lose fit.  So the bushing is not tight in the hole.   When you get it apart that's probably what you'll see.  Then punch the metal around the hole so the bushing fits tight.   I've even tack welded the bushing in place.   Let us know what you find.

Joe

that's I think exactly what's going on.that bushing should not rotate with the arm ? Because it does so just welding it to the dash tower will fix it? That's easy . U don't have a pic of what you did do you?

Xjchief

Finally got around to welding it. Just like you said weld the bushing to the Sheetmetal. No big deal thanks