kudzu3

dash restoration (?)

kudzu3

Any suggestions on dash panel restoration for 69 charger and 70 raider? Thanks

pacer

Yes, Mikes tutorial is good and can really spruce up your panel.

Hah! but I tried it and made a mess of it!:eek: found pretty quicky it takes a STEADY hand! and my old creaky 75yr old nerves just wouldnt cooperate, but, I coaxed my son into trying it and it turned out NICE.

• Like 5

Thor27

While that dash turned out beautiful,  those 2 tractors are "pre-plastic" dash?   Subscribed for an answer as I have a raider with an awful looking dash and I was looking at Vinylguy's decal overlay.

HERE

Edited by Thor27
tried/failed to post pic
  • Like 1

Racinbob

I'm about to use one of those decals on a 500 special dash. They are sweet! Make sure the dash is smooth as glass. Any imperfections will show right through. I cleaned mine up and painted it. I'll hit it with 400 grit before I put the decal on. :)

• Like 3

kudzu3

Yes, they are pre plastic. I restored a plastic dash on my B 80 a couple years ago and it turned out perfect, but these metal panels are quiet different and will require a different technique. I didn't know decals were available, Seems like the only way to go. Anybody have pics of one restored using the decals? Thanks all for the good info.

Racinbob

I'm sure there are. I'll finish mine next week and post a picture. I'd say it's the only way to save this style. :)

kudzu3

I'll be looking forward to the pic, thanks :)

Racinbob

Here ya go. This is the first one of this style I've done. I may order another decal and do it again but I know you wanted to see it. The bottom of the dash is straight. I butted it up against a straight edge so I could do the same with the decal which would help getting it on square. Working from the bottom up with a plastic card I made sure it was tucked in to the horizontal center area. Once it was on I saw that it was a bit oversize and trimming was required on the top and sides. Doing it again I would overlap the bottom just a little and trim all the way around. That would drop the 'Depress clutch when starting' down and get it away from the generator light plug as well as lowering the wording so it would center on the ridge better. I'm thinking it may have been made a bit large and intended to be trimmed. Maybe Terry will chime in here.

500 spl dash 1.JPG

• Like 7

elcamino/wheelhorse

That looks great.

Racinbob

Thanks. Terrys decals are outstanding.

Aldon

Looks like new !