Sign in to follow this  
steve k

Electric Fuel pump

steve k

I got sick and tired of messing around with the vacuum fuel pump on my GT 1100.  It has the 11 hp briggs.  So after some thought I went to napa today to see about a universal electric pump.
I also think this may be good for one of my kohlers if ever those pumps fail.   The one I got is PN  610-1051 it says 1.5-4 lbs of pressure.    It is actually better than I expected, seems well built, comes with a filter for the inlet side and a hose barb for the outlet(brass even!)  The pump is 1/8 inch female pipe thread on both ends.   Seems to work great.  I jumpered it to run constant while checking for leaks and found none, float seems to hold needle shut just fine.    The cost was a little tall at $50 but some of the replacement mechanical pumps are near that and it seems like it will last.  Anyway thought I would pass it along.

Edited by steve k
  • Like 2

mikekot3

Sound like a nice pump but make sure to have it run only when cranking and running the engine otherwise you can hydrolock the engine with gasoline and bend connecting rods.

steve k

Great minds think alike   Mike!    Yes the pump is wired to only be on when engine is running.

JackC

I connect the positive lead for the electric fuel pump to the positive lead on the coil.  Is that a good point to get power to the pump?
My 8 hp Kohler on my C-81 now starts instantly. My starter loves it.

I also use clear fuel line near the engine so I can see the juice feeding those 8 horses.  If it don't start it ain't fuel delivery. If it is I can plainly see it.

steve k

It will probably be fine Jack.