TDF5G

YARD SALE FIND

Zeek

That stinks about the engine . . . the rest of that tractor is in very  respectable shape!  The grill alone is usually bashed out of shape from hitting trees or small children :shifty:, but that thing looks very straight and very  little rust :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 3

Brian01
25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The grill alone is usually bashed out of shape from hitting trees or small children , 

Lmao, hopefully more trees than small children!

Edited by Brian01
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

There's a certain feeling deep in the gut when an engine fails and you know it's more than something simple.  A cold sunless day with constant drizzle, sadness, even despair and suddenly everything stops, no wind, no birds no nothing...  A few moments of silence, though at the time they seem longer, and then life struggles up and goes on again. Someday so will your Wheel Horse.  We all feel your sorrow...  We're all here when you are ready.  :(

• Like 5

WHX??

Yikes...keep us posted and plenty of:text-coolphotos:..looks like girl worth saving...

• Like 1

TDF5G
14 hours ago, Zeek said:

The grill alone is usually bashed out of shape from hitting trees or small children :shifty:,

LOL! :lol:

And thanks for all the sympathy and sentiments.  I'm not heart broken over it.  I knew what it was when I bought it.  Just didn't expect it to konk out this quick.  I got it for cheap at yard sale this past fall, the deck is well worth what I paid for it IMO.  It's just an extra toy to play with, ya know. I've got it pushed to the corner of the basement for tear down this winter in my spare time (hopefully).   I hope it's rebuild-able.  I liked to keep her alive.  

I have a little past experience when I rebuilt a '68 Commando 8 back in 1993-4 with help from local semi-retired WH dealer.  I turned all the wrenches, used his tools as he told me what to do and only charged me for parts.  Had to get it bored and crank turned, used his valve grinder and seated the valves myself.   I've done some car engines (older stuff)  in the past too in Vo-Tech school and other garages.  

So it's been a while for me doing major engine surgery but I'm actually looking forward to working on it.  I'll have to start collecting a few small engine tools.   I've got all the engine manuals.   Waiting on a parts manual that I ordered a while back, couldn't find one here on the forum for K301.  

Thanks in advance for the technical advice and info too.  I'll be needing some tips with it in the future.   If all goes well I'll consider a rebuild for my C-105 which is low on compression.  

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

TDF5G

Here's a video I took after pulling the head.  The link is between the first 2 pics below.  Don't know how it ended up there, I thought I posted it first.

And a few photos I've taken for reference of tearing it apart.  It's been a slow project so far.  Not had much time to work on it.  The pulley and the flywheel pulled off with no problem.  Next step is to get the block off the frame and on the workbench.  Just gotta clean off the workbench first! :unsure:

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2780.MOV

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Tankman

Great find and nice Stallion!

Hope the engine rebuild goes well

for you. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell

Good luck getting those 4 bolts out of the rocker plate.  I never did get mine out of my C-101 when I did the redo.

• Like 1

semperfi8185

The good news is that it is a cast iron engine. Should be able to rebuild it. 

• Like 1

TDF5G

I haven't had much time to work on it.  On Saturday I pulled the engine out of the tractor and removed the pan.  I know we like pics so here's the damage!  The bore doesn't look bad but may be out of round.  Notice damage to piston skirt also.  Cam appears ok.  One gear damaged.  

IMG_3059.JPG

IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 3

MWR

Just a small application of JB Weld should fix all that.    :D

• Like 2

ericj

if that's a balance gear, take it and the rest f the balance gears and throw it on the scrap pile. all of the kohler singles I've rebuilt, or should I say had rebuilt, i've left the balance gears out and I don't really notice any difference. A lot of times you can have the crank shaft polished to get the build up of aluminum of with out turning the crank, as long as it's not out of round. good luck on the rebuild.

eric j  

• Like 2

953 nut

Some muriatic acid will remove the aluminum deposits without damaging the crank, then you can see if there is any real damage.

• Like 2

TDF5G
On 2/22/2016 at 0:56 PM, Ed Kennell said:

Good luck getting those 4 bolts out of the rocker plate.  I never did get mine out of my C-101 when I did the redo.

Haven't had any trouble removing any bolts thus far.  The engine cradle plate bolts came right out with 1/4" impact.  It does need new isolator mounts though.  I see that Toro is proud of 'em too!  :o

Wheelin'theSky

Actually been enjoying this saga of "As the Wheel Horse turns". Can't wait for the next episode :-)

Seems like you have a good attitude about it and you did get to have a little fun with it before it went south. When you only have a little cash tied up in a project it keeps things in perspective. Guess that ended shortly after the yard sale?

Hope it works out and is repairable. Good luck.

Edited by Wheelin'theSky
  • Like 1

TDF5G
12 hours ago, Wheelin'theSky said:

Actually been enjoying this saga of "As the Wheel Horse turns". Can't wait for the next episode :-)

Seems like you have a good attitude about it and you did get to have a little fun with it before it went south. When you only have a little cash tied up in a project it keeps things in perspective. Guess that ended shortly after the yard sale?

Hope it works out and is repairable. Good luck.

Thank you for the kind words.  I like to keep it entertaining as well as informative.  After all, this is a hobby for most of us here @ RS and we do a lot of it for fun.   I like the title you have come up with for my story, As The Wheel Horse Turns.  Very appropriate!  :lol:

This C-121 is an extra tractor I stumbled upon and got for cheap.  Don't necessarily need it, ya know.  It's been 20+ years since I had an engine apart, so it's like a new experience for me all over again.  I think I can foot the bill for machine work and parts and still be ok on the investment of the tractor.  Gonna have to spring for a few small engine tools and study the Kohler manual.  But I'm looking forward to it. 

Time is my enemy right now.  Just too much else going on it seems to keep this project moving.  Spring is here now and it's a busy time of year for me.  

Several years ago I built a '32 Ford street rod along with my brother and my father, who financed the project.  I read a book about building "bolt together" hot rods and the author mentioned the "fun factor" in doing the project along with the costs of things.  That has stuck with me since.  So I keep that in perspective with the :wh: projects too.  You can't really put a price on the "fun factor" of things.  Especially when you can make it a family project!

Todd

• Like 3

1976 C-120

So here I am enjoying this story almost 3 full years later, and then my heart drops.... It ends, but without an ending. The saga just drifts off like a leaf in the wind and I am left to dream. I hope the C-121 has found new life. If you're still out there, give the people what they want, give them the ending they deserve! :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:

• Like 2

squonk
On 10/6/2015 at 7:45 PM, TDF5G said:

And little used exercise equipment.

That stuff is heavy but you can hang parts of of them when painting or cut them and use the steel for projects. Barbell weights are great for loader boxes and to hold your canopy in place at shows. :)

• Like 1

TDF5G
21 hours ago, 1976 C-120 said:

So here I am enjoying this story almost 3 full years later, and then my heart drops.... It ends, but without an ending. The saga just drifts off like a leaf in the wind and I am left to dream. I hope the C-121 has found new life. If you're still out there, give the people what they want, give them the ending they deserve! :happy-bouncyshadowgreen:

Thank you for the sentiments.  :)  I'm afraid to report that the C-121 was put off to the side with the engine still torn down to tend to life, work, and other projects.  It seems to be a never ending cycle of not being able to get caught up, these past couple of years for me.  I do think of this rebuild project from time to time, and seeing it sitting there, it is a reminder also.   The next step in this project is the need to find a good machine shop in the area.   I will get to it one of these days and I'm still looking forward to the time when I can.  But the days are slipping by with other priorities. :(

Todd

Edited by TDF5G

ohiofarmer

Look in the classified section as there is a member who does rebuilding for a fee  They can br shipped reasonably as well.

My story is similar  with a smoky c141 that runs with s donor 12 HP. I don't want to run the fourteen. Because that cylinder is really egged. I also have a lovely earlier Goldwing that is sitting. so

At my age I should be able to work on projects more . I have found that it is difficult to turn down certain construction projects when they are high on skill and not a lot of heavy work.esprcially when the customer wants you and only you   to run it Maybe we

both be more happy to trade a bit of money for time to have a completed project

• Like 1