econo

Paint help

econo

Hi guys. Can I get some advice on paint color for my '65 855. I have searched around and want to get a close match for the body and wheels. As I understand, Rustoleum International red or Regal Red?.  Also have seen Valspar. Probably will be shooting it with my gun and then a good quality clear. But the wheels probably with spray cans. The tractor will be kept out of the elements in the winter but will not be heated so I would need a good quality paint that will hold up. Any help is appreciated.

953 nut

Give Agrisupply.com a try, they sell an IH Red and the reducers and catalyst hardener as well as the clear by the gallon or quart shipped to your home. Good product and well priced. As for the wheels I have used rattle can Rustoleum "Antique White".

Keep us updated as you go.            :wwp:

stevasaurus

You may want to take a look at this thread...it is pinned in the restorations section.  :)  A lot of guys liked the Valspar "Restoration Series" red, but it may not be available anymore.  You, being from Chicago (if you want that color) might want to check the Farm & Fleet out in Woodstock...I heard they still had it....don't know for sure.  Don't trust what they tell you in a phone call to them...you have to go out there.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/14364-wheel-horse-paint-recommendations/

rmaynard

If you are set up to spray with an HVLP, I would spend a little extra and use an automotive type paint, either acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane. That way, with the weather turning cooler, you won't be waiting a couple of months for the oil-based paints such as Rustoleum to cure. In any case, most any red that is close to IH Red is fine.

And, as I always warn, no matter what paint you spray, use the proper breathing protection.

As a side note, using single-stage acrylic urethane negates the need for a clear coat.

• Like 1

econo

How about IH Red vs. Regal Red. Is one darker than the other, I would prefer not so much of a bright shade. From what I read, the Regal might be darker

KC9KAS

For the wheels, I use Rustoleum ALMOND spray can.

953 nut

The material from Agri supply is Alkyd Enamel and when it is mixed with the catalyst hardener they sell it drys very quickly. 

boovuc

Anything IH Red and I prefer the Rustoleum Almond as well for the rims.

econo

Thanks for the great info. should be enough to get me goin'