chorusguy

differences between c120 and c160

chorusguy

Is the only difference engine size?

fireman

That's it I believe. Other then that they should be the same. Only possible differences is between the years they were made. The "C" series was manufactured from 1974 till 1984.

Possible changes are as follows:
Axle diameter: At some point they went from a 1" axle to a 1 1/8" diameter (not sure if was done during their production)
Seat: the seats went from a two piece design to the standard one piece
Control console/tower: they changed the styling of the steering tower/console between 1977 and 1978.
Model changed from C-120 to C-121 and C-160 to C-161 in 1978

squonk

Don't know what year they changed but some had flip up rear fenders and some didn't. My 76 C-160 has the flip fender but I'm told it wasn't supposed too.

daveoman1966

Don't forget... the C-160 gives YOU bigger balls. too. 

• Like 6

can whlvr

1976 didn't have flip seat,75 did,but I do believe that goes for both the 160 and 120

Ed Kennell

My '74 C-120 has a HH120 Tecumseh with a Sundstrand 90-1136 hydro
The '75 C-160 has a K341 Kohler with a Sundstrand 90-1140 hydro.
Both have two piece seats and flip up fender/seat pans.
The 160 has a different knob on the F/R lever than the 120.
                                                     160 knob    2 5/8" long            120 knob   4 5/8" long                                                                                        
IMG_4967.thumb.JPG.c8e97d6bd4eec57e2582a
IMG_4968.thumb.JPG.77838627ff01de5ab1f2d

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 2

AMC RULES
So, then...    :hilarious:
some bigger knobs too. 
  • Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

My '74 C-120 has a HH120 Tecumseh with a Sundstrand 90-1136 hydro
The '75 C-160 has a K341 Kohler with a Sundstrand 90-1140 hydro.
Both have two piece seats and flip up fender/seat pans.
The 160 has a different knob on the F/R lever than the 120.
                                                     160 knob    2 5/8" long            120 knob   4 5/8" long                                                                                        
2 inches could make a difference to some humans.

Ed Kennell

Breaker...Breaker,  where you at Sparky ???

So, then...    :hilarious:
some bigger knobs too. 

Yep, the little 120 w/Tecky has a bigger knob......go figger

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Are you looking to buy a C120?

chorusguy

Not really.  I have 5 160s but was curious about parts interchange in cas I somehow need a part I don't have on my parts tractor

Wheel-N-It

Not really.  I have 5 160s but was curious about parts interchange in cas I somehow need a part I don't have on my parts tractor

Oh OK, I was thinking you might be adding another Horse to the herd ;)

fireman

I forgot about the different hydro transmissions. 

Here are some screen shots from the master list that lists the model number, year, engine, transmission etc. for all the "C" series

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_12.57.55_PM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_12.58.49_PM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_12.59.24_PM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_12.59.42_PM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_12.59.55_PM.th

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.00.10_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.00.25_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.05.28_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.05.45_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.06.06_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2015-10-04_at_1.06.18_PM.thu
  • Like 2

squonk

1976 didn't have flip seat,75 did,but I do believe that goes for both the 160 and 120

But my 76 does and everything
lools orginal

elcamino/wheelhorse

I was looking art the screen shots provided by fireman and I wonder if anyone knows the difference between the 1974 1-0485 and 1-0490  C120 tractors. Both have 12 hp Kohler motors and both have Sundstrand 90-1136 transmissions.  It seems that this happens in other years , different model numbers  but the same Manufacture modle and Hp engine and the same model transmission. Just wondering . 

Ed Kennell

Could that have been with and without hyd lift cylinder  ?

chorusguy

Oh OK, I was thinking you might be adding another Horse to the herd ;)

there is a cheap one in Pittsboro but since the hydro's are different i think I'll pass.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
Yes I seen that one too and decided to pass because I'm a gear drive guy, not really into hydros on small tractors. The hydro soaks up too much power before it has a chance to do anything else.
  • Like 1

squonk

My  160 is a hydro and I'll never be with out it. It all depends on what kind of work your doing with it. With my yard, I can cut 20 minutes of mowing time out with a hydro over an 8 spd.

• Like 1

Racinbob

chorusguy, you're showing that you have a 74, 75 and 76. Go look at them. Virtually every part will obviously interchange. Per the original parts list the 75 8 speeds had a flip fender, the 75 autos didn't. Supposedly all the 76 models had a fixed fender and the seat flipped forward (as was mine). Are we confusing flip fender and flip seat? But I would bet if they some 75 flip fenders left over in they made it on the 76 tractors. It's also a very easy swap with no modifications to bolt a flip fender on one that originally wasn't. Forget the knobs, That's hardware store stuff and who's to say with certainty after 40 +/- years? I've also seen items like that be different even with the same part number directly from Wheel Horse.  So, if you're just looking for a parts tractor and you have all 8 speeds maybe a hydro isn't for you but there's still a lot of common parts. :)

Oh, your 74 and 75 have hood ornaments and the 76 doesn't but if you swap a hood does that mean........... :rolleyes:

chorusguy

Right. I have 5 c160 autos.  One being a parts tractor and have no concerns about parts interchanging.  But in my area there are a couple of 120's near me for cheap and was wondering how much they would interchange especially transmissions.  Thanks to the good information given here I see that the transmissions are different.  Sobnow I know that I will be better served to stay focused on c160s. My 76 has a non-flip fender.  The rest have fenders that flip up.  I haven't checked the years on either my parts tractor or the most recent worker I got.

Thanks to all for such good info.

Ed Kennell

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Sundstrand  90-1136,37,40  hydros used in these  C- 120s and 160s ?
I suspect they may all be physically  interchangeable.

Edited by ekennell

tbarnhart

Ed, I'm agreeing with you on the Hydro lift valve as the only difference in the trannys. The 74-75 160 autos all came with the hyd. lift, but the 120 autos still had the manual lift like the 8-speeds. The transmissions are alike except for a few valves and springs that have to be changed to provide power for the lift valve. I don't know the specifics on that, but it's here with a bit of searching. As far as the basic pump, motor, and transaxle, they were the same stuff. The rest of the tractor was the same as well except the engine and a few extras on the 160 such as an hour meter and armrests. Frame, sheet metal, axles, wheels, etc. were the exact same within a given year. There were a few changes as mentioned between the early (74-75) and the late(76-77) 120s and 160s. 1978 brought the C-1x1 series that looked a lot the same, but had quite a few differences.

• Like 1

can whlvr

my 75 auto has the flip fender and is original