Wheel-N-It

Finally Bought a Round Hood

Wheel-N-It
this is an edit KEEP SCROLLING DOWN / PICS ARE POSTED BY JRBLANKE this is an edit
Well after a couple of years keeping my eye open for a locally owned Round Hood, I finally found one today located about a 40 minute drive from home. I'm hoping James can post some pics of this thing for me as Karl and I still cannot figure out what happened when Red Square had a change this past Summer.
Anyway, It looks good and runs quite well in my opinion. It has a slot hitch that works! Tomorrow it will get an oil change.
It has a starter/generator Kohler  engine and the serial number tag on the tractor shows the number #48441
Can someone tell me what this is based on the serial number. Craig AMC rules says its a 701 because it has the double pullys on the engine and starter. I believe Craig is correct on that due to his vast knowledge of Wheel Horses that far surpasses mine. I would like to know what information the serial number is giving me. Thank you. Hopefully I can get some pics of the tractor on here somehow.
Oh, and it also came with a snow blade that I will sell if any of you need it.
Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 9

Brian01

Congrats....the snow plow, is it a pipe frame or square tubing? 

I'd like to have one for my RJ58 but still haven't quite figured out how it mounts because I have no holes in the front of my frame at all 

Brian01

I'd like to have one for my RJ58 but still haven't quite figured out how it mounts because I have no holes in the front of my frame at all 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Yo Van, things eventually show up. Good grab. Cant wait ti see it in the pics when.you can. 

Glenn

• Like 2

Bert

Very nice looking tractor you got there :woohoo:
I've got a original trans pulley and a nice 502 belt guard you can have if needed.

• Like 1

Brian01

I'd like a pic of the snow plow if possible

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Square tubing I'm pretty sure. I can let you know tomorrow if you are interested. Send me a PM and I'll check it for you.

:woohoo:

Van, based on this list it is definitely a 701.   

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5170-tractor-1961-serial-numbers/

:text-coolphotos:

Thank you Mr. Schmidt :)

Very nice looking tractor you got there :woohoo:
I've got a original trans pulley and a nice 502 belt guard you can have if needed.

Thank you Bert. If yours will fit, I sure would like to have it and can pick it up at the Meet and Greet

I'd like a pic of the snow plow if possible

Brian, PM me your phone number and I will text you a pic tomorrow

• Like 1

AMC RULES
"Bam" sure is a nice lookin' :wh: Van.  :handgestures-thumbupright:
Don't forget to tell everyone about the mask you were wearing when you picked it up.  :ph34r:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/57281-1961-701/

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

squonk

Very nice Van! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JC 1965

I like it.    :thumbs2:

• Like 1

oldredrider

"Every good tractor got a bullet hole in the hood"

• Like 2

Racinbob

That's a sweet 701. What blade do you have? A BD-4271 was the original and didn't have trip springs. In 1962 they upgraded to A BD-4262 which had the springs. Later blades will work as well.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer
Ive got one with a bullet hole in it--lol
  • Like 2

Jake Kuhn

Looks like a nice one Van! You will enjoy it!

• Like 1

AMC RULES
As per our discussion, the following is for your reference Van.  :handgestures-thumbupright:
IMG_3655.thumb.JPG.4aca00655304f5afdc344IMG_3656.thumb.JPG.f6e02c36107cb16a44ce0IMG_3653.thumb.JPG.257018e1d309c6efa4586IMG_3654.thumb.JPG.b70f9b97edb6099896ca0IMG_3656_(3).thumb.JPG.e8967a674fdf0ab64
IMG_3655_(2).thumb.JPG.e6ec4bbd35ec4a6f4

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

boovuc

Nice Round-Hood Van. Congrats!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

"Every good tractor got a bullet hole in the hood"

"Thats Right" LOL :text-goodpost:
Thank you everyone who supported me with your Red Square Member Seal of Approval
Now I have a few  questions;   1. Where can I get one of those headlight mounting bars? I am thinking I've read somewhere here on RS of these things being available (maybe
                                                               reproduction) ? I like the look as  it reminds me of the ape hanger handlebars on my Harley Davidson motorcycle :auto-biker: (BIG THANK YOU
                                                               to my Wheel Horse Hero AMC RULES !
                                                          2. Bert has graciously offered me a drive belt guard from a WH 552. Will the 552 belt guard fit a 701? If so that is perfect as I will be seeing Bert the
                                                               last  weekend of this month at our Western North Carolina Meet and Greet. BTW, you guys are certainly invited to attend. We have a thread for 
                                                               this in the General Shows and Events Section. Or PM me with your phone number and I will call you to give you information regarding our meet.
                                                          3.. What weight of transmission gear oil should I use? How much does the transmission hold? Where do I put in in? 
                                                          4. What is the correct part number for the drive belt that connects the engine pully to the transmission? I want to replace the belt on it now with a 
                                                               new one so I can properly adjust the clutch/brake pedal.
Thank you for any help you can give me. I want to bring this 701 to the 2016 Big Show :)

Edited by Wheel-N-It
  • Like 2

woodchuckfarmer
How about handle bars off a kids bike?

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
How about handle bars off a kids bike?

Hey, thats a good idea! I may borrow the grandson's bike for a little investigativve work today LOL :lol:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The transmission should have 90 wt oil in it.  80/90 or close will be OK.  It will take about 2 qts if dry.  There is a drain plug on the bottom of the trans, and a fill plug on the side (about 1" up, near the rear axle).  To fill, I would take off the seat and fender pan and use a funnel in one to those bolt holes.  Take out the fill plug and when the oil starts to run out of there you have enough oil in the trans.  It may take only about 1 1/2 qts.  :)  Nice horse Van.

• Like 3

Wheel-N-It
Thank  you Steve. You are a wealth of Wheel Horse knowledge, and a good friend!

953 nut

Van, the drive belt # is 9691, that is a 70" A belt, either a 4L700 or A68. I wouldn't be too worried about a new belt without having a belt guard, the guard is a big part of having the belt stop when declutched. The part numbers of the 552 and 701 belt guards are not the same, but that may just be because they have different decals on them; just have to try it. You can adjust the brake band per the manual and see if that helps.

Looking forward to seeing the 701 and you.

• Like 2

953 nut

Take a look at this, I think it will be a winner!

552.thumb.jpg.98624ca428b8673b71b5036f83

• Like 6