DennisThornton

1980 Toro Truck?

DennisThornton

I suppose that technically this is an improper post.  Maybe it will disappear shortly, but maybe not.  It is about Toro, but pretty sure not Wheel Horse but maybe still ok.  I'm sure that others have seen this but I'm not sure that I have...  At least it's not GREEN!:rolleyes:

Bud!  You out there?  Another idea for you!

1980 Toro Truck rt front.jpg

1980 Toro Truck.jpg

1980 Toro Truck front.jpg

• Like 6

roadapples

Cool truck Dennis, I`ll take one!

953 nut
:text-coolphotos: Could take a :wh: and make a miniature one of these.     :auto-driving:
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
:text-coolphotos:

Could take a 

:wh:

and make a miniature one of these.     

:auto-driving:

Don't you think!  I bet Bud could show us how!

DennisThornton

I was just Googling "Crosley Tractor"  (anybody that likes the Economy/PowerKing should as well!) and someone mentioned a mini Fire Truck!  Wouldn't that be neat project for a Wheel Horse!

From a sister forum:

Re: Crosley Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnspot110 View Post
Didn't know about the Crosley tractors, they also made a small car. I had heard about a Crosley car being made into a parade fire truck here in our town, but had never seen it (I worked on the local Fire Dept. for 29 yrs.). Last year at a steam & gas engine show 75 mi. for here it showed up, owner had bought it at an auction in a neighboring town. ~~ grnspot110

Their were 2 factory built Firetrucks, they are both in the northeast Jay Leno has been trying to get one.

I had seen these before, just not the newer one!  1939!  Wonder what they built in between!
cb-1939toro-01.jpg

RedRanger

I suppose that technically this is an improper post.  Maybe it will disappear shortly, but maybe not.  It is about Toro, but pretty sure not Wheel Horse but maybe still ok.  I'm sure that others have seen this but I'm not sure that I have...  At least it's not GREEN!:rolleyes:

1980 Toro Truck.jpg

1980 Toro Truck front.jpg

Saw one of these at a local tractor show here last weekend.  Cab and Chassis were the same, but it still had it's original dump box.  Probably held 1 yard.  The box was factory built and original, but like the entire vehicle, very crude.  Very unique for sure.  The owner said they were built for golf courses and nurseries as maintenance vehicles.  Kind of like todays Gators.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I'd like to see one up close!  Heck, I'd love to have one!

I just noticed you have a L106.  I have a VERY rough and missing hood, carb,starter and seat L156.  It may be too far gone to fiddle with but I still wanted one to look at and compare side by side so at least I would understand when folks are talking about LRs.  Is yours in working condition?  Like it?

• Like 1

wallfish

Here's an old Wheel Horse homemade version

wheel_horse_truck.thumb.jpg.fea14acaf19c

• Like 7

RedRanger

I just noticed you have a L106.  I have a VERY rough and missing hood, carb,starter and seat L156.  It may be too far gone to fiddle with but I still wanted one to look at and compare side by side so at least I would understand when folks are talking about LRs.  Is yours in working condition?  Like it?

Those Toro utility vehicles are very "crude" to put it nicely.  The one I saw was 100% original.  Even original paint ... that was remaining anyway.  Factory built, but rough enough and basic enough that it almost looked garage built.  Unique and strong, but ancient in style and design.  For 1980 technology, it amazed me that it looked like 1940.

I bought the L106 last winter.  Was a very original tractor that sat in the back of a garage for 20+ years.  Original owner passed away and second owner bought it from his widow's garage sale.  Unfortunately, the second guy put a rattle can paint job on it and ruined the patina.  We've started a complete restoration.  I've got the wheels, tires, original seat, and correct steering wheel done, as well as new bushings throughout the deck carrier unit.  Currently the deck is apart for blasting and the frame will be soon too.  Runs great.  My son rode it around the yard the day we got it running for a good two hours.
It's been up on blocks on a bench for the past 6 months waiting its turn.

024.thumb.jpg.d26ee261cc43e6ab016cfa6a6e

Beginning of disassembly.
108.thumb.jpg.27d692e9f44d0771e0c94e50fc
Currently.
026.thumb.jpg.50fe7aa17281a7cda69e774234

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Here's an old Wheel Horse homemade version

wheel_horse_truck.thumb.jpg.fea14acaf19c

Well isn't that neat!

Those Toro utility vehicles are very "crude" to put it nicely.  The one I saw was 100% original.  Even original paint ... that was remaining anyway.  Factory built, but rough enough and basic enough that it almost looked garage built.  Unique and strong, but ancient in style and design.  For 1980 technology, it amazed me that it looked like 1940.

I bought the L106 last winter.  Was a very original tractor that sat in the back of a garage for 20+ years.  Original owner passed away and second owner bought it from his widow's garage sale.  Unfortunately, the second guy put a rattle can paint job on it and ruined the patina.  We've started a complete restoration.  I've got the wheels, tires, original seat, and correct steering wheel done, as well as new bushings throughout the deck carrier unit.  Currently the deck is apart for blasting and the frame will be soon too.  Runs great.  My son rode it around the yard the day we got it running for a good two hours.
It's been up on blocks on a bench for the past 6 months waiting its turn.

024.thumb.jpg.d26ee261cc43e6ab016cfa6a6e

Beginning of disassembly.
108.thumb.jpg.27d692e9f44d0771e0c94e50fc
Currently.
026.thumb.jpg.50fe7aa17281a7cda69e774234

Quite a while back I saw a WH show picture of one like this with a rather large gent in the seat & I honestly thought it was some homemade mini version of a WH.  I did not know at the time that it was a production WH!  But I really thought it was cute!  I feel a bit silly now but that's what I thought then.  Now that I have one, rough as it is, it's obvious that WH just did everything they could to build a smaller version.  I really like them!  And what a cool Father & Son project!
Thanks for the pics!

gwest_ca

Saw one of these at a local tractor show here last weekend.  Cab and Chassis were the same, but it still had it's original dump box.  Probably held 1 yard.  The box was factory built and original, but like the entire vehicle, very crude.  Very unique for sure.  The owner said they were built for golf courses and nurseries as maintenance vehicles.  Kind of like todays Gators.

Couple of manuals for the General here
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=toro+general&type=downloads_file&sortby=relevancy&page=1

Garry