stevecobb76

1967 wheelhorse 1277 motion control linkage slop?

stevecobb76

it is very loose and as I mow, it keeps going faster and faster.
I tightened the spring screw things but no help
I have to keep my hand on it to maintain speed.
is there any adjustments? I cant find any except the spring screws on the plastic plate that moves the hydro rod left and right.
I took pics below.

the plate moves up and down and it moves a rod behind it left and right. pictures of both positions below
but I cant find a tightness adjustment.

Sorry this is my first wheelhorse first day. barn find.

20151002_1627471.jpg

20151002_1628041.jpg

20151002_1628221.jpg

KC9KAS

Tightening the screws as you did were all I did to my 875. My other plan...if tightening the screws didn't work was to make a bracket out of some spring steel and mount it where the motion control lever moves back & forth by the hood stand & belt guard to hold pressure on the lever so it didn't move so easy.
Oh, and :WRS:

stevecobb76

I was thinking of making my own cam follower block (I think that is what you call it)

I might use your bracket/friction idea
maybe with a spring setup of some sort
but hidden under the plate so no one sees it

SPINJIM

I replaced the cam plate on my 1076, and bent the ears on the two metal pressure plates on each side.  It helped a little, but vibrations still cause the speed lever to move on the early models.  Later automatic models had a coil spring and collar on the pivot of the lever.  It put pressure on the pivot of the lever to solve the problem.  I bought one of those levers (used) to try to retrofit into my 1076, but it wasn't compatible.   I also thought of KC9KAS's idea of a large leaf-spring mounted next to the lever to keep pressure on it.   I found one a few months ago, but haven't had a chance to try it.  If it works, I'll take a picture and post it.   Let us know if you find a good solution.

Jim

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I was thinking of making my own cam follower block (I think that is what you call it)

I might use your bracket/friction idea
maybe with a spring setup of some sort
but hidden under the plate so no one sees it

That was another idea.....making  something to apply friction on the linkage out of sight in the tunnel.

• Like 1

Aldon

I completely broke mine down, blasted and painted. I also have completely compressed the spring adjustment And it has not helped as far as I can tell. 

I need to to take a look at the parts diagram as there may supposed to be a a compression fitting of some sort that wore and disintegrated before I ever broke mine down. Otherwise the adding compression to the spring does nothing.

Edit: 
i looked at the exploded parts diagram and someone at some prior time had mine apart and a couple integral parts are missing. Missing a collar which I realized and used a washer when I reinstalled but it also was missing the Friction Cone. 

Luckily I have a spare control arm assembly so I'll tear it down and add to the refreshed Control arm assembly. Hopefully that will get me some added tension.

Edited by Aldon

stevecobb76

I ended up taking all the motion control linkage off of my 1967. the hydro shift on a throttle cable at the moment while I am building the foot pedal assembly for it.
I am using the throttle cable to directly move the arm on the hydro.

I took the allen screw out of the top and put in a bolt w/jam nut holding down a horizontal rod sticking out to the front of the hydro. my throttle cable linkage connects directly to that.

0% slop and it holds the speed now.  I will put up pics when I get it complete. it just looks ghetto right now. but it works great!

hint hint lawn mower throttle linkage at carb has all parts you need to do this except the bolt.

Edited by stevecobb76
  • Like 2

Aldon

So I tore into my hydro control. Found that the Friction cone was there but on all three hydro controls that I have taken apart, in each and every case prior owners had opted not to install with the Key in the keyway slot. 

Having installed it correctly this morning I can tell you that the friction come does improve the ability to add friction and resistance to hydro control lever. However, it's not a perfect design as it does allow some play, say a half inch in either direction before the heavy resistance is encountered. 

It it was however not easiest of tasks and having my tractor completely apart and in rebuild made it easier. 

I I am going to detail the install on my GT14 restomod thread for those who wish to see more.