snowhound

K341 Head

snowhound

Recently picked up an early 70's C-160 that appears to have a warped head.  I placed it on piece of glass and was able to slide a .004 gauge under on one side, I didn't try a thicker gauge. Would it be worth trying two head gaskets? Does anyone have a good head to sell?

Ed

tunahead72

There's an excellent tutorial here on flattening a cylinder head:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/38803-how-to-renew-cylinder-head-gasket-sealing-surface/

This is a little tedious and time-consuming, but should be done for any head that shows a .003" or larger gap.  And ultimately, it's very satisfying to see the results of the process.

I've never tried two gaskets, but my gut feeling is that it wouldn't work as well as flattening the head and installing one NEW gasket.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:
            Yeah, follow Eds advice and  flatten your head using SOI's tutorial.  It is not that difficult and if you buy a used head, it will probably also need to be flattened .  I use a large  black ink  magic marker to coat the head to ID the high spots and I recoat the head after each series of sanding.  I feel the ink is thinner and it dries  instantly
Do not use two gaskets.

• Like 2

infernus

Never double gasket.  You might as well not use a gasket at all then... they'll leak for sure.  Take it to a machine shop like Napa or Bumper to Bumper that does machine work like valve grinding and flywheel resurfacing... they can deck it for a couple bucks.  I wouldn't worry about it bumping compression up much.

• Like 1

snowhound

Thanks for the replies I'll pick up some glass and give it a try.