Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Work Horse Steering Column

HorseFixer

Aquired A Work Horse From Tickster for the grand daughter. The steering columb was a bit wobbley so I tore it apart tonight and the main support I found was cracked. :D I have the area all cleaned up so I will give it a good welding probably tomarrow. No doubt I will get a few good beads and gusset welds and ole Duke will bring her back to life! :hide: BIG bubbles no troubles hubba bubba! :hide:

STEERINGCOLUMB001.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB002.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB003.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB004.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB005.jpg

Stigian

Id say some extra metal welded in for extra strength is the way to go Duke :hide:

KyBlue

Good Idea on the gussets Duke!! Have fun with the welder - are you a Mig Man or a Tig Man?? one of these years Ill pickup a TIG welder..

Rollerman

Wow Duke...hope your not upset with the rider?

Never really got to involved with it other than retrieving it when Taylor ran it out of fuel.

And Scott you wouldn't beleive Duke's collection of tools...he's a mig,tig,ark man.

I wouldn't doubt if he has a welder for makeing seamless PVC pipe connections too. :hide:

HorseFixer

Wow Duke...hope your not upset with the rider?

Never really got to involved with it other than retrieving it when Taylor ran it out of fuel.

And Scott you wouldn't beleive Duke's collection of tools...he's a mig,tig,ark man.

I wouldn't doubt if he has a welder for makeing seamless PVC pipe connections too. :D

Heck no Im not Upset! :hide::omg: Fixen Em is all part of it! Scott As Stephen says the DUKE can give it to ya any way ya want it! :hide::party: anyways the HORSEFIXER gave it a good fixin today! I welded it up reeeeel good and by the way I did Tig it. I need to find a match on the paint, will give it a light sand, prime then paint! :omg: Stephen for the Work Horse, grandaughter is gonna like it! :D

STEERINGCOLUMB006.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB009.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB011.jpg

evanloock

Looks better than new now....good job!

KyBlue

Stronger than new thats for sure!!

wallfish

Looks real good now.

That thing had more crack than an over weight plumber. :hide:

I sure would like to learn how to tig weld. The welds just look much cleaner with a lot of penetration into the piece.

I wonder why they didn

Sparky

So how about a pic of this tractor. Is it one of the gray Workhorse series from the mid eighties?

Mike.........

Butch

I'm envious of the work you guys can do. :hide:

Duff

I'm envious of the work you guys can do. :hide:

X2! :hide:

The talent around this site is awesome. Maybe a little will rub off on me with time...... :omg:

Duff :D

KyBlue

Hey Duke... How about giving a couple welding classes?/ hahaha Ive Tig'ed a couple times, but not enough to say Id feel comfy welding something that mattered..

HorseFixer

So how about a pic of this tractor. Is it one of the gray Workhorse series from the mid eighties?

Mike.........

Thanks guys Sparky Ill get some pics of tractor by the weekend, just still busy on the garage cleanup. squeezed enough time tho at work to do the weld job.

Scott it all just takes allot of practice. I welded in high school and my dad welded for 25 years at Tyler's Refrigeration here in Niles on refrigeration cases. My first job out of high school was welding Tar Tankers steel and aluminum. Since I'm a pipe fitter we always have a torch in our hand silver brazing copper Many years later I went to college & got my degree in Industrial Maintenance Technology at the ripe Ole age of 44 I took 2 welding classes during this degree which covers the 4 types of welding that are most commonly used.

OAW ~ Oxyacetylene Welding, SMAW ~ Shielded Metal Arc Welding (Arc), GMAW ~ Gas Metal Arc Welding (Mig), GTAW ~ Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (Tig)

I recommend taking a evening class in college! After many years of welding I did this and learned allot even tho I had been welding for many years :hide:

Butch

Hey Duke... How about giving a couple welding classes?/ hahaha Ive Tig'ed a couple times, but not enough to say Id feel comfy welding something that mattered..

Tig'd?? :hide: Oh no. I'm not even Mig'd yet. :omg: I hope that's

somethin I don't need to worry about. But starting in January I planned on

gettin Mig'd at night school. :D And boy do I have a system picked

out for my first welder. :hide: Don't know how I'm gonna bring that up to the wife. :omg:

HorseFixer

Tig'd?? :hide: Oh no. I'm not even Mig'd yet. :D I hope that's

somethin I don't need to worry about. But starting in January I planned on

gettin Mig'd at night school. :D And boy do I have a system picked

out for my first welder. :omg: Don't know how I'm gonna bring that up to the wife. :omg:

Just tell her ya need it to fix all the things around the house and it will save big money! Tell her you can weld that pipes under the sink! :hide: Weld the leaf rake when it busts, weld the mailbox when kids knock it over, weld tha faucet washers in the faucet that is leaking, weld the toaster that doesn't toast, and if she gives ya any chit tell her you will weld her eYe bRoWs on her head! :party:

Being a WH Collector ya gotta be fast on yer feet with a quick LIE errrrr I mean answer to appease the wife. :banana: Anyways here are a couple pics of the tractor.

STEERINGCOLUMB013.jpg

STEERINGCOLUMB014.jpg