SylvanLakeWH

K241AS 10 HP on a C 105 - Smoking A lot at start

SylvanLakeWH

New to the WH world and this forum. Got a 1980-83? C105 with a K241AS 10 HP from a relative and it smokes a lot on start, then calms down and runs pretty good and clean after 10 minutes or so. I read elsewhere on this forum that Shell sae 30 Rotella T1 would be a good try.(Might not burn as bad). I did, since it needed an oil change anyway (badly) and now it smokes worse... I also was told it may be a clogged breather? Or worse case top end new rings, piston etc...

When I changed the oil it was black and what I would call "sooty" looking... No idea when oil was last changed but tractor sat for three years...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

sylvanlakewh

oldredrider

You probably have a "tired" engine; worn rings and piston. Fresh oil will often show up problems on a worn engine. The detergents clean and degunk the internals.
Doing a top end job is not that difficult if you have the mechanical skill. The Kohler service manual lays everything out. Even if you have to pay someone to do it for you, it's totally worth it knowing your engine, if properly maintained,  will last another 20+ years.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Thanks! Will have it checked out for top end pressure and go from there. Appreciate your thoughts!

Fordiesel69

Keep in mind a kohler can have proper compression, and still produce lots of power, but still burn oil.  The oil rings tend to wear out much faster than the two compression rings.  They also do not have the elasticity to hold tight against a worn bore.

If budget is very tight, and you can confirm you do not have excess piston slap, and do not have any knocking from the connecting rod, you can slap a set of rings in it for a few more years of use.  This will buy you some time to decide if a new rebuild is worth it.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Great suggestion!

Do you need to hone the cylinder or can you just put new rings in under the scenario you present? Assuming no slap and knock...

Appreciate your input!

953 nut
:WRS:                     After 35 +/- years of operation I would plan on running a hone down the cylinder, couldn't hurt.

oldredrider

Honing the cylinder helps to seat the rings. Without honing, you're likely to use a lot of oil. After new piston and rings, use conventional oil to break in.

Fordiesel69

**MUST** hone.  But not to worry, harbor freight will have a flat stone nice and cheap.  Do a youtube search on my user name.  You will find a B-100 videos.  Crank you speakers and if your engine knock is worse than that, you will need a rebuild.  Mine has been rebuilt properly, but has the nice kohler rattle.

SylvanLakeWH

Much appreciate all of your collective advice!

SylvanLakeWH

Update. Smoking got worse so...Needed new intake valve and a carb rebuild. Also, breather vent was totally plugged. All three fixed and...

Now...runs like a champ with no smoke!

btw...rings nice and tight...no compression issues.

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2