zachsterb

D200 18 Automatic electric pto clutch?

zachsterb

I've been searching the forums and have found mentions of folks putting electric pto clutches on their d200 or 18 Automatic but cannot find part numbers of which aftermarket electric clutches work...can anyone tell me? I've got a D200 and 18 Automatic...both have the same manual pto clutch setup, and I'm sick of dealing with broken hooks, adjustments, etc etc etc.   I would like to try and electric one...thanks in advance for the help.  

Edited by zachsterb

stevieb

Hi

Did you manage to find an electric pto clutch for your D200

I am looking for one myself

Any advice?

zachsterb
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Hi

Did you manage to find an electric pto clutch for your D200

I am looking for one myself

Any advice?

No I haven't come across anything with a part number or even a suggestion. 

Pollack Pete

I really don't think an electric clutch is available for a D-200.I know a D-160 with an Onan engine had one,but I believe it won't fit a 200.Your manual clutch can't be repaired??

pacer

I had an 18 auto with an electric clutch, and it was pretty neat (I have 3 other D's with manual) However -- the electric had some clues that it may not have been original? There was a toggle switch to activate it, and the hand lever on the left was still there but with nothing connected... but as to any more info than that...... I have since sold the tractor.

stevieb

Having trouble sourcing the parts to rebuild the manual PTO.

stevieb

Thanks Pete

You were right, repairing the manual clutch was the way to go (and more original that fitting and electric one),

A local engineer was able to make me the parts needed to repair the PTO clutch

The Beast is back

• Like 1

mike416

I was faced with this same issue several years back. I was struggling constantly with the manual pto clutch on my D200. Did like most and rebuilt it with the help of a local machinist/friend but still I was never satisfied with the overall performance especially when it came to slowing/stopping the 48" mower deck. One day when I was mowing, my 3 year old son came out of nowhere and was running right at the discharge side of the mower deck. I slammed the tractor into neutral, killed the ignition switch and dove off of the tractor to practically tackle my son before he got any closer to the twirling blades. That was the end of my slow manual pto. I found that an electric pto clutch off of a commercial zero turn mower was a great alternative. It has the double pulley to power the mule drive and the rear pto shaft. It was very close in overall diameter and has a very strong torque rating so no problem even when running the big 50" tiller. The best part is that it stops any attachment in about 3 seconds or less! It installed really easy with minimal modifications and has been in use now for about 7 or 8 years with ZERO problems. Unfortunately I do not remember the part # of the clutch but I remember that I came across it fairly easily. This may not be the answer for everyone, but it was a no brainer for me!

zachsterb
3 hours ago, mike416 said:

I was faced with this same issue several years back. I was struggling constantly with the manual pto clutch on my D200. Did like most and rebuilt it with the help of a local machinist/friend but still I was never satisfied with the overall performance especially when it came to slowing/stopping the 48" mower deck. One day when I was mowing, my 3 year old son came out of nowhere and was running right at the discharge side of the mower deck. I slammed the tractor into neutral, killed the ignition switch and dove off of the tractor to practically tackle my son before he got any closer to the twirling blades. That was the end of my slow manual pto. I found that an electric pto clutch off of a commercial zero turn mower was a great alternative. It has the double pulley to power the mule drive and the rear pto shaft. It was very close in overall diameter and has a very strong torque rating so no problem even when running the big 50" tiller. The best part is that it stops any attachment in about 3 seconds or less! It installed really easy with minimal modifications and has been in use now for about 7 or 8 years with ZERO problems. Unfortunately I do not remember the part # of the clutch but I remember that I came across it fairly easily. This may not be the answer for everyone, but it was a no brainer for me!

What model pto clutch, part number, what it came off of can you tell me?   I'd like to do the same thing.  Picture of modifications?

Sarge

There is a brake included in the D's linkage to the pto clutch , but those brake shoes are no longer available . I would think one could pretty easily adapt a more robust shoe since they are built so simple to help stop the implement , or have the old pads re-lined . Just remember , the 60" decks are crazy heavy and that is a lot of rotating mass when they are running - trying to stop those blades quickly takes a lot of work .

Sarge

mike416

I do not know for sure the exact model electric clutch that I purchased as it has been several years ago now. I do know that I had purchased it from an aftermarket company called Rotary. Currently the best match that i can find in their catalog is a part# 9913 (warner 5215-62) but please do your own research. It looks a lot like mine by the specs. I do not have the mower deck mule drive belt installed in the pics but you can see the belt for the rear pto. You can see the anchor pin (just a bolt with the head cut off) I installed at the top left where an existing bolt is already located. Lined up perfectly. The electrical is simple. Just a 12 volt supply with an in line fuse and a good ground. Just used a heavy duty toggle switch for power control and thanks to the D160's, there is already a provision for the switch on your control panel. As I mentioned before, I have been using this setup now for several years and it works great for me. Hope this helps.

20170227_173450.jpg

20170227_173537.jpg

20170227_173627.jpg

cezari

@mike416Are your mufflers custom - stainless steel? If not - what PN & where can one get them?

Edited by cezari