Wheelhorse84

rear axle problem?

Wheelhorse84

So on the C-120 I just purchased both sides of the hubs it looks like the shaft is popping out. Is this as simple as taking the tires off and sliding the hub out and retightening the set screw? Sorry no pics have not picked it up yet.

Racinbob

Yes. You wouldn't even need to take the wheels off. They likely were put on like that. You might want to consider adding a set screw 90 degrees from the other. :)

Wheelhorse84

thank you

doc724

The cup point on the original set screws is likely mashed.  Go out and buy new grade 8 setscrews.  While you are at it, buy an 8 point socket so you can really torque those suckers down.  It is not possible to develop enough torque to bite into the key using a 3/8 open end wrench.  If you do this, the problem goes away (maybe you need a new key, but that is a whole different problem).  If you just retighten the existing screws, the problem is likely to reoccur.

• Like 2

Wheelhorse84

Thanks for the advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc did you buy my C-160 off me?

doc724

No, it was a C141-8 that you picked up in East Longmeadow.  You only had it a week or two when you found out that the needle bearing was toast.  Yes, I had to split the transaxle and ultimately I needed another transaxle to fix it, but I got that one for free (it was bad on the opposite side so I put the two good halves together).  It was a great learning experience and now I have a nifty home made heavy duty hub puller to get those pesky hubs off!

• Like 1

Wheelhorse84

Ahh I'm glad you fixed it. Good to hear from you.

Wheelhorse84

So should the end of the axle be flush with the wheel? How much of the axle space should there be?

Racinbob

Yes, flush to the end of the axle. There will be maybe about 3/4" gap from the transmission.

Wheelhorse84

Thank you

Wheelhorse84

One Last question. So all I did was move the hub out flush. How do I know if the key is lined up properly. Wood that key and notch in the hub move because the hub slid in?

Racinbob

No. The key won't move. Just tighten the setscrew really tight and it will likely be fine. If it continues to loosen up then you can try the next step.:)

pfrederi

The half moon shaped hole in the axle will not move and it keeps the key in place.  You can remove teh setscrew and look down teh hole you will see the key.

AMC RULES
Can't nearly be tightened enough...     :wacko:
or, you would need explosives to make those hubs move. 

Wheelhorse84

cool beans. Thanks fellas

mid60's
Don't forget to back off the lock nut before tightening. :rolleyes:  I also use a drop of threadlocker on the setscrew.