k+s 1277

36" rotary mower 5-1361 how to change belts?

k+s 1277

hi im trying to find what the right procedure is to change the double belts on a 36" mower deck, and what is the length of belts?  please.

gwest_ca

The belt numbers and sizes are listed on this page
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3195-mower-rotary-36in-rd-1968-5-1361-tipl-snpdf/

You can also download an illustrated parts list from there.

Get lots of rags to mop up the grease.
Remove the 2 bolts that secure the bearing block (item 44) on the right side.
Just loosen the bolts in the left bearing block.
That should give you enough room to lift the right side up to get the belts out and in. Try to keep the grease off the new belts. 
Sorry I don't know how the deck belts are tensioned. You may need to back whatever that is off to get them over the pulleys.

Garry

slammer302

Don't forget to put the blades back in time one should be horizontal and the other should be vertical that way they don't hit each other  

PM me if you have any problems i've done this several times. Mainly for my dad who says he don't know how to do it but i think he just don't want to get dirty.Lol 

k+s 1277

so I have to disassemble everything in the center of the deck,blades and all right?

slammer302

if you look under the deck there is a cast iron housing that goes across the bottom of the deck that holds the spindle shafts and what not. You have to take the bolts loose on it so it can drop down and take the bolts out on the side were the face gear is on the cross shaft so it can be raised up so the belt can slip under it . i will try to post sum pics its hard to say in words

Pullstart

and the tension is set by the two threaded rods that attach to the front pulley / frame mount.