chorusguy

new gardener

chorusguy

Never gardened before.  Looking for good reference material.  Suggestions?

AMC RULES
What are you planting?   :scratchead:

WNYPCRepair

do you use Facebook? There are a few groups on there. 

i I like the Back to Eden method. http://www.backtoedenfilm.com

KC9KAS
Photo of a marijuana leaf. 
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

LOL

DennisThornton

Now stop that!

chorusguy

Not sure what hat I'm planting.  That's what I'm trying to figure out.  It won't the above pictured crop though.

• Like 2

DougL3

I'm in NC also, so I'll give you the rundown of what works for me.  Tomatoes, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, corn*, peppers, green beans, watermelon, and various herbs all get planted in the spring at my house.  Broccoli, cauliflower, and kale go in for the fall.  I have 3 blueberry bushes, 2 blackberry vines, 3 grape vines, a fig tree, and an apple tree...all of that fits on 3/4 of an acre.

I bought a non-running 416-8 back at the start of summer and have been slowly working on getting it running.  It will eventually replace my rear tine tiller that I despise using!  I will not be planting any veggies this fall, as I plan to plant some winter rye to plough over in late winter/early spring.  I think it's time I rejuvinate my dirt a little.

3 key things to remember that have kept my plot producing are: Fertilizer, Water, and Weeding....lots of weeding!

Have fun!  There will be success and there will be failure, just remember to make it fun.  My wife and kids help tend to it also.

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
Photo of a marijuana leaf.

aah dutch veggiesb.gif

• Like 2

tunahead72

Not sure what hat I'm planting.  That's what I'm trying to figure out.  It won't the above pictured crop though.

Well that's a shame, I hear you can make some money off that stuff ... whatever it is. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Several weeks ago the state police found and cut down a BUNCH of weeds. The newspaper had a total number of plants and a street value.
The street value was OVER $1700.00 per plant!!

Someone will have to file bankruptcy due to loosing their cash crop!

tunahead72

More seriously, I haven't done any real gardening in several years.  It can be very rewarding, but will take a good amount of time and effort to be successful.  I would recommend starting small, seeing how it works for you and expand your gardening as you have time to work at it.

I tend to follow organic methods, but not religiously any more.  I'm a big fan of Gene Logsdon's writings and advice, but I would advise reading as much as you can absorb from any source and take what you want and think will work for you.

I'm just looking at DougL3's list of crops for reference.  Corn, tomatoes and beans were always staples in our gardens in the past, as well as potatoes.  I love blueberry bushes, very easy to get started and keep going, my biggest problem is keeping the birds away from the delicious berries in the summer (they always get more than I do).

Fruit trees are kind of a special topic -- we've had several apple, pear and peach trees over the years, and never really managed to get a consistently healthy crop that we could use.  As much as I hate to admit it, at least around here they seem to need a lot of spraying for fungus and insects, and I just never bothered to put that much effort into it.  The deer and groundhogs get most of our fruits now.

Which reminds me of a story...  One day many years ago I was mowing the back yard, where my fruit trees live, with my old friend Wheel Horse 310-8.  As I made a turn at the end of the section I was mowing, I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye.  Turns out it was a red fox, not more than 10 yards from where I was mowing, running through my yard straight to the old pear tree.  We watched each other intently, he stopped and ate a couple of pears that had fallen to the ground, I kept mowing and at the next turn I turned around to keep an eye on him, and he was gone!  :-o  Fascinating animals.

My wife has several (legal :)) herb gardens going at the moment, completely organic and on a much smaller scale, and they've worked out well for us over the years.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I love blueberry bushes, very easy to get started and keep going, my biggest problem is keeping the birds away from the delicious berries in the summer (they always get more than I do).

My brother shot one of the crows eating his and hung the carcass in the middle of the patch. Smelled horrible, but the crows stayed away.