cheesegrader

19 volt 520?

cheesegrader

Everything was fine yesterday.  I did some cleaning and carb adjusting, but I SWEAR i didn't touch anything electrical.
Now when I run the '95 520, the volt meter is pegged way above the top reading of 16 volts.
If I switch on the lights, it comes down to slightly above the highest mark on the meter.
I've heard of high voltage readings from a failing battery, but this one is a week old.
What have I done?
I'm going to look at the voltage regulator in the morning, make sure it has good contact and not loose.
Any other suggestions?

squonk

I would check that with another voltmeter first. You may have nothing wrong but a bad gauge which 520's are known for.

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

This one may wake up the hibernating Squirrel. :unsure:                :text-yeahthat:     I would also check the battery voltage with and without the 520 running.
 If your battery is good, and is still being over charged with 19v, I'm guessing your regulator died.  About $20 on Amazon and 5 minutes to replace..

• Like 1

rmaynard

A poorly grounded regulator has been known to produce over-voltage.

• Like 2

Theroundhousernr

yupper, I would double check with a good meter. Then make sure you have a good ground or just temporarily ground with a jumper to be sure. Then look at replacing the regulator.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

cheesegrader

So, battery checks out, cold and running.
Cleaned up the Voltage regulator and the ground around it--no change.
The new voltage regulator is in, and now it is at 15 volts, which I THINK is OK

• Like 4

SethL1984

So, battery checks out, cold and running.
Cleaned up the Voltage regulator and the ground around it--no change.
The new voltage regulator is in, and now it is at 15 volts, which I THINK is OK

Def ok, The regulator is designed to run about +10-20% over nominal battery voltage for proper charging and electrical system supply; it will probably "settle" a bit over the next few days to 13.5-14.2V. Sounds like it's fixed!

• Like 3

WHX??

By any chance cheese did the lights flicker when at full throttle? My 246 has the same, voltage reads high butturning the lights on drops it but it seems when the battery gets fully charged the lights flicker. Turning on the electric  pto drops the voltage more as expected. Replaced the regulator a couple of years ago from a Toro dealer. I do seem to go thru batteries every 2-3 years so maybe I am over charging. I should check it will a multimeter...I only have a dozen of them.

• Like 1

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:     This is a good example of why a volt meter is superior to an amp meter. With an amp meter you wouldn't be aware that you were cooking your battery.  :thumbs:
  • Like 2

cheesegrader

By any chance cheese did the lights flicker when at full throttle? My 246 has the same, voltage reads high butturning the lights on drops it but it seems when the battery gets fully charged the lights flicker. Turning on the electric  pto drops the voltage more as expected. Replaced the regulator a couple of years ago from a Toro dealer. I do seem to go thru batteries every 2-3 years so maybe I am over charging. I should check it will a multimeter...I only have a dozen of them.

That is exactly what it was doing.  TORO wanted a fortune for a new voltage regulator, but there were several on ebay for about $20.

• Like 1

WHX??

I hear ya cheesy, I think I paid over 80 bucks for it from a dealer and that was at least 6-7 or better years ago. Fact I remember goin to pick it up thinkin it would be 20-30 flipped out my wallet and didn't have enough cash had to bounce a check!!  Flea bay for 20??? now I gotta go look. Can you post a pic & p/n  cheese? Dyin to know if its the same one?? Mine is on a Briggs v twin 18 hp i believe. Mounted just ahead of the starter

20150824_110201.jpg

I would think a 520 reg would be different

Ed Kennell

Hey Jim, here is the Onan reg I bought from Amazon for $19.
IMG_2655_(640x480).thumb.jpg.8f501c01c28

• Like 2

WHX??

Not the same as mine Ed but would work. Found a 394890 on fleabay for 14 bucks. Let you all know if it solves the problem. Definitely cooking the battery as it's low on water again.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sounds like you may have the problem resolved.:handgestures-thumbupright:

cheesegrader

I got the same one as ekennel.

DougC

My 520H did the same thing and ruined the battery while still under warrenty 16 years ago. Dealer came and got it, replace regulator and installed new battery, told me this happens all the time. He didnt charge me anything at all but chewed my but for not watching my gauges close enough. I look at them all the time now and have never had another regulator fail.:D

• Like 1

WHX??

Replaced my regulator and all is good now,  took a whole whopping five minutes. Now both tractor voltmeter and multi meter readings steady @ 13-14vdc. I guess we know now that when the head lights flicker at full throttle and the battery is fully charged we have an ovecharging regulator. Hope I did't cook this battery.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
:handgestures-thumbupright:   Gotta luv it when a plan works and the horse is healthy.
  • Like 1