SoylentGreen

Proud WH owner in Lagrange, NY

SoylentGreen

Gents,

Wanted to introduce myself...I started looking for a garden tractor to restore a few years ago and having no background in this area started from a blank slate.  Looked at a variety of tractors and had never heard of Wheel Horse.  Stumbled onto this forum and have been lurking ever since.  I narrowed my search down to a manual transmission Wheel Horse and was searching every CL from South Jersey to Maine.  I ended up finding a 1990? 416-8 restored by a local guy and his son.  I was planning to restore one myself, but they had done an amazing job and had it for sale on CL.  After a few months with no movement, I saved my pennies and ended up picking it up, interestingly, they live only a few miles from me.  The work they did was meticulous and the tractor is beautiful.  I have been mowing with it now for several months and yesterday picked up a 48" snow plow from a guy an hour away.  I'm planning to knock the worst of the rust off and wire wheel the beejezus out of it, repaint it and have it ready for whatever this winter throws at us.

Today while mowing, I had my first scare.  The tractor was driving fine, and suddenly it refused to shift into either 1 or R.  A quick search here turned up the "dog tooth set screw" issue and I had it back to shifting in a few minutes.

So, thanks to all of you for a wonderful forum and the reams of information about these machines.  I didn't have a very strong tractor bias prior to discovering WH, but now I'm hooked.  Pics when I get them.

• Like 8

JPWH
:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

AMC RULES
:WRS:

Sparky

Mike..........

953 nut
:WRS:  Glad to hear we were helpful.  One rule for new members,   :wwp:

SoylentGreen

953, will do.  I grew up in NC and my folks still live there.  My dad has driven my horse and has caught the 'fever'.  He is currently looking down there for one of his own.  I'll let you know how it goes!

• Like 1

rjg854

:text-worthless:

Ed Kennell
:text-welcomeconfetti:       Too late to save you....You already caught the dreaded  WHA.    

JC 1965

Hello and  :WRS:

KC9KAS
:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:
As others have said, you won't get by with just 1 :wh:.
I have been collecting :wh: for 7-8 years and have 10...My step daughter has now got the bug (or horse fever) and has her own....and looking for another.

nylyon

Welcome, just down the road from you in Brewster

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Welcome to the best place, good luck to.

Glenn

Digger 66

Welcome from the western end of the state .

can whlvr

Retired Sparky

:WRS:   It's like the island of miss fit toys. We're not broken......nobody else wants us.  :ROTF:   You'll like it here.B)

• Like 1