trainman

1966 lawn ranger spindles

trainman
Hello all, This summer I got a great deal on a 1966 lawn ranger I got it all torn apart already, I have having a hard time trying to find a decent pair of spindles. The ones on mine are shot where the wheels go, I got a pair from a friend same thing. Anyone have a good used set?

N3PUY
What do they look like?  I have a set off a "800 Special".

trainman

Well I know they are shorter than the regular ones and a screw in the middle holds the wheel on. I would load a picture but my pics are always too big a format and I have not a clue how to make them smaller.

N3PUY

Here are pics of the 800 axles.  Do they look correct?
IMG_6033_(800x600).thumb.jpg.ea405c348c8

IMG_6034_(800x600).thumb.jpg.d5731439752

trainman

I will have to measure mine and get back to you.

953 nut

If you open the photo in "Paint Brush" then go to "Stretch/skew" you can make it any percentage (25% works) then save it as a new photo and upload that; or become a supporter.

• Like 1

WHX??

I like the supporter method....:text-yeahthat:

trainman
Ok here are the spindles I need they are shorter than the standard ones

spindles 25 percent.JPG

RedRanger

Just an FYI-When you put this back together, you don't need to use the expensive original axle bushings.  (The reason your axles are shot)
You can find a set of 4 heavy duty press in sealed bearings on Ebay for about $15.
You'll need to make a spacer to take up about 3/8 inch of remaining axle space, but I cut down the old bushing for that.

Edited by RedRanger
corrected space size

slammer302

Just an FYI-When you put this back together, you don't need to use the expensive original axle bushings.  (The reason your axles are shot)
You can find a set of 4 heavy duty press in sealed bearings on Ebay for about $15.
You'll need to make a spacer to take up about an inch of remaining axle space, but I cut down the old bushing for that.

I did the same on my sons lawn ranger i used the worn spindles and it works just fine with the sealed bearings. I have a thread about it some where on here

• Like 1

RedRanger
Ok here are the spindles I need they are shorter than the standard ones

spindles 25 percent.JPG

Based on that picture....
I think those spindles would be fine with bearings.
The Bearings will run on the outer most edge (doesn't look worn there) and about 1 inch inward of the inner flange.
You might save yourself some cash and try bearings before buying more spindles???
If the worn spot is still an issue, I'd even try some liquid metal and filing before replacing.

Using those oiled brass bushings for spindle bearings was a terrible idea by WH.
I'll get some pictures of my setup tonight after work for you.

Edit-Adding pictures of my setup.
I double checked and my brass spacers are 3/8" thick cut from the original oil brass bushings.  Just used a bench vise and hacksaw/sawzall.
065.thumb.jpg.da5315f4834c70773d364f2e9e
063.thumb.jpg.27f1f467ee6efecd7ed1c7f332

Edited by RedRanger
added photos
  • Like 1

trainman

I got the press in sealed bearings for the fronts off Ebay for what you said.  Just one question could someone make new spindles with a lathe and just re use the tie rod brackets? RedRanger your photo's did not upload.

RedRanger

I got the press in sealed bearings for the fronts off Ebay for what you said.  Just one question could someone make new spindles with a lathe and just re use the tie rod brackets? RedRanger your photo's did not upload.

They were there the other day.  Had same issue in another thread that they disappeared in.

As for machining new ones, anything is possible, for the right price.
065.thumb.jpg.e1e8e5c8682e7fb8ebb2005be9
063.thumb.jpg.58febd8db4d8208a78b97840da

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

slammer302

Just a torch and 3/4" rod and a person probably could make sum

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk