Swift Arrow

Wheel Horse Model Popularity?

Swift Arrow

Hi All!  I've been lurking on this forum for a few days, and now I just had to post!

Two years ago I came back to the US after growing up mostly abroad, and needed to do some serious yard work.  I bought a wheel horse; the first one I could find, only because my mom recommended the brand.  It came with a plow and a rusty but working mower deck.  Last year I used the plow a whole tonne - and that thing would plow!  If there was a pile too big, I just needed to back up, and gather some speed before hitting the pile, everything would move!  The tractor was unstoppable!  Exhilarating!  I loved it!

This year I finally got the deck welded together and started mowing - it was amazing!  That thing ran over and chewed up everything in its path...Bushes, brambles, trees, rocks,  until a bolt snapped, and the blade, bolt, washer, and spindle cap went God-knows-where. 

And thus began my baptism into the Wheel Horse world.

After much searching, visits to the local Toro dealer, and about 5+ hours of driving, I have collected spares for everything except the missing blade.  I've also learned that I am the proud owner of a unicorn; one of the rarest wheel horse tractors, and an even rarer mower deck.

What I have:

• 1979 Wheel Horse C-111 tractor, 11HP Briggs&Stratton engine, 8 Speed, Model 91-11B801-22782.  Apparently it was only made that one year.  Luckily, from the looks of it, I THINK that I can use attachments from other C series tractors, am I right?
  • 1979 36" Rear Discharge Mower Deck, Model 95-36MR00-09449 (the only place I could find that model number was on TORO website; all other sites only listed the 36MR01) (I love the rear discharge though) (I also learned that this is the only one that uses a needle bearing journal on the spindle without an inner race, and the only one with heavy cast-iron spindle caps, and also the only one with a double-D hole on the blade with two additional guide pins)
  • 1979 42" plow
  • Sand-filled wheel weights on the rear wheels.
It is in decent condition.  By that I mean, not much rust at all, good seat, new fuel lines, everything works, but a rat chewed the spark cable (patched it with electrical tape).  The paint is pretty tired.

For starters, I have a few questions:
  1. Where can I get a blade?
  2. Am I right that any other C series attachments should fit?  I'm looking for the grader blade attachment, a front loader. and perhaps an electric generator.
  3. Should I buy a second deck (would like to upgrade to 40")?  Which decks should I avoid?  This is a workhorse, my only tractor, not a toy or show piece.
As noted elsewhere, Wheel Horses have the tendency to multiply!  Well, I'm facing that now... and wanted to ask: What is a model I can look for that won't leave me stranded for parts!

Thank you!

P.S. Pictures to come, some day.  I am very bad at uploading pictures! Edited by Swift Arrow
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :)  All "C" series attachments will work on your horse.  If you are looking to buy another, I would look for a "B" or "C" series so everything you end up getting will work on either horse.  Don't know where you are, but we have plenty of shows during the summer where you can find parts and accessories.  TORO should have the blade if someone does not pop in here and save you from their prices.  :)  Either keep an eye on out for sale section, or place a want ad if you know what it is you want.  Enjoy the site.  We will help you post pictures.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

rmaynard
:WRS:  Glad to have you aboard.
  • Like 1

953 nut
:WRS:              You are right about how tough a :wh: is, U Tube is loaded with video evidence of that. The attachments from the late '60s on will pretty much interchange with each other. Exceptions would be for the "D", GT-14 and 520s; Too big for your application. As Steve said a B or C would be a good choice, also a 312, 314 or 316 would be a good worker and decks and plows will be interchangeable. You probably can find the mower blades on Ebay but asking prices on there have been getting a bit crazy. Looking forward to those pictures.  :wwp:
  • Like 2

JPWH
:WRS:
  • Like 1

doc724

Try DuCuts Power Equipment Warehouse for blades

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
:text-welcomeconfetti:    To The  :rs:     Swift.    
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

Tach-a-Matic attachments will fit for you.  Most 1973 and up Cs, 300s, 400, and most 500s will fit and of course most anything you tow behind will as well.  You might like a 42" deck.  They made both side and rear discharge models.  I'm pretty partial to the rear discharge.

Be careful hanging out around here though!  You will not only find out about all kinds of attachments that will work, but all kinds of other Wheel Horses and you'll meet folks that like to help out and talk about them.  Before you know it you're spending far more time than you would have ever thought exploring the World of Wheel Horses!

Just a warning!

Oh!  And welcome!

• Like 3

AMC RULES
Better keep an eye...
on your tractor's transmission mount. 
5605c95d99bf9_wheel_horsin_around_333607
   Just sayin'...      
:greetings-wavingyellow:

• Like 2

WHX??

You will find a great bunch of folks here that will go out of there way to help you with your :wh:
Please consider  being a supporter, it will help you posting pictures and we do like :text-coolphotos:

• Like 3

KC9KAS

semperfi8185

Welcome aboard.  Lots of good help on this site.  Find out were groups are meeting for even more help.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Wellcome, will be looking forward to pictures when your ready. Plenty of help here to.

Glenn

• Like 1

Swift Arrow

Wow! 

Thank you for the warm welcome, words of wisdom, and wary warnings!

Now I will have to go and look at my tranny mounts!  Thanks for the tips on where to find blades.  I took a look at the Do-Cut warehouse, but did not find my mower deck.  I did find the 95-36MR01, which has a different blade attachment and spindle system!

I will eventually post pictures, and also become a supporter.  Right now cash is tight (another reason I bought something solid and reliable rather than cheap, flimsy, and hard to fix), but the prognosis is positive.  :)

My only excuse for not posting pics yet is that I haven't any at hand.  :)

Thanks, and looking forward to learning about this rugged iron horse that I have!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

If you are looking to upgrade your deck, dont worry about tracking down stuff for your current one. There are usually some decent used decks for sale (sometimes attached to horses still!), so browse through the for sale section or post a wanted ad and be sure to include your general location so that people know where they can help you out. With that much damage, there is a real good chance that you tweaked your deck and it will likely not mow level ever again.

I highly recommend getting rid of the bramble and other non-grass stuff in your yard as you will be going through mower decks faster than belts ;).

With 11hp I would not go larger than 42", even then you might see a bit of a struggle through the tall stuff.  Like mentioned above, look for C series or 300, 400, or 500 series tractors and decks. All will interchange except the 37" deck, it needs smaller front wheels.

There is a grader blade listed for sale on here right now in Michigan, these are not rare, but are not common either and can command a fairly high price. I had mine shipped from Maine, cost $80 or so in shipping. This can be shipped UPS.

FEL (front end loader) are also not very common and will run you $1500 or so in decent shape without a tractor. I have never owned one, but I think the general consensus is that you will want a dedicated tractor for a FEL. The 520HC or 90+ 520's have heavy duty 1" front spindles and seem to be better suited for loader operation, but any of the C, 300, 400, 500 series will run them.

Generators ARE rare and ARE expensive. Many just have them as collectable. You can adapt a belt drive generator head to work if you are handy, but I would recommend just buying a generator. As fun as it is having one less engine to maintain, the wheel horses are expensive generators and will only run a couple hours on a full 3 gallon tank. I got a harbor freight 7kw generator for the same price as I would have paid for a wheel horse one and it has a 7 gallon tank and will run for 12+ hours without racking up the hours on my horses.

Have fun, this is an awesome and addicting hobby! And be patient, you will eventually collect all the parts and tractors you need if you keep a vigilant eye on craigslist, this forum and ebay!
  • Like 4

papaglide
:text-welcomeconfetti:

Swift Arrow

If you are looking to upgrade your deck, dont worry about tracking down stuff for your current one. There are usually some decent used decks for sale (sometimes attached to horses still!), so browse through the for sale section or post a wanted ad and be sure to include your general location so that people know where they can help you out. With that much damage, there is a real good chance that you tweaked your deck and it will likely not mow level ever again

I highly recommend getting rid of the bramble and other non-grass stuff in your yard as you will be going through mower decks faster than belts

;)

With 11hp I would not go larger than 42", even then you might see a bit of a struggle through the tall stuff.  Like mentioned above, look for C series or 300, 400, or 500 series tractors and decks. All will interchange except the 37" deck, it needs smaller front wheels.

There is a grader blade listed for sale on here right now in Michigan, these are not rare, but are not common either and can command a fairly high price. I had mine shipped from Maine, cost $80 or so in shipping. This can be shipped UPS.

FEL (front end loader) are also not very common and will run you $1500 or so in decent shape without a tractor. I have never owned one, but I think the general consensus is that you will want a dedicated tractor for a FEL. The 520HC or 90+ 520's have heavy duty 1" front spindles and seem to be better suited for loader operation, but any of the C, 300, 400, 500 series will run them.

Generators ARE rare and ARE expensive. Many just have them as collectable. You can adapt a belt drive generator head to work if you are handy, but I would recommend just buying a generator. As fun as it is having one less engine to maintain, the wheel horses are expensive generators and will only run a couple hours on a full 3 gallon tank. I got a harbor freight 7kw generator for the same price as I would have paid for a wheel horse one and it has a 7 gallon tank and will run for 12+ hours without racking up the hours on my horses.

Have fun, this is an awesome and addicting hobby! And be patient, you will eventually collect all the parts and tractors you need if you keep a vigilant eye on craigslist, this forum and ebay!

Thank you so much for this info!  You've answered many questions I didn't even know I had!  :)

Especially glad for your experience with the generators; I was considering creating one, but with the fuel numbers you mention, a separate one is definitely better.

I am considering getting a 40" deck which a buddy who runs a lawn mower repair place down in Windham, CT has...  For now I might need to just drill out some holes on my spare set of blades so they fit the 36MR00 deck that I have, and will start saving towards a bigger, more common deck and grader blade.  :)

Edited by Swift Arrow
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer

If you want to put some time and $ into your current deck, you can get all the info you need here pretty much:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=95-36MR00&sortby=newest&type=downloads_file

Look at all those files, one talks about replacing the double d style with later model parts. Check it out if you havent already. :handgestures-thumbupright:

And then you can look for parts here: www.rcpw.com

I have had good luck with them. They are usually one of the cheapest, but not always.

Also, look carefully at the deck your friend has. WH never made a 40". They have 36", 37", 42", 48", and 60" (only for 520 or larger models).

Usually deck size is in the part number somewhere if the tag is still readable.

Swift Arrow

Look at all those files, one talks about replacing the double d style with later model parts. Check it out if you havent already. :handgestures-thumbupright:

And then you can look for parts here: www.rcpw.com
I have had good luck with them. They are usually one of the cheapest, but not always.

Also, look carefully at the deck your friend has. WH never made a 40". They have 36", 37", 42", 48", and 60" (only for 520 or larger models).
Usually deck size is in the part number somewhere if the tag is still readable.

Thanks again for that great information!  I'm really glad to know I can upgrade the spindles eventually!

I'll check out RCPW, thanks for that link too!

My buddy's deck is probably 42"; it has the Wheel Horse attachment system and looks like the pictures of the 42" ones that I've seen.  I should have said "around 40"  :)

• Like 1

Racinbob
:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

It looks like your questions have been answered. You're better off sticking with 73 and later PTO attachments but older ones will work with just a little effort. I ran a 1970 48" deck (5-1483) on my 76 C series but used the front mule drive belt setup. The deck mounted fine. I also used a 7-1211 tiller on it but set it up with the later one belt drive. I'm not suggesting that but I'm just saying that if you found a smoking deal........ Also, it's very true that Wheel Horse/Toro recommends a 42" deck max but I bought a 84 GT-1100 with the same motor you have and ran a 48" for many years on many acres and it did fine. :)

doc724

Actually, it is a C111.  I had one just like it.  It was my first WH, bought new in 1979

DougC

You can get some work done with that machine for sure.........:handgestures-thumbupright:

Welcome Swift Arrow.            :text-welcomeconfetti:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

swift arrow. very nice. stout and clean. made for work. thanks for sharing.

glenn

shallowwatersailor

That is a great start on a collection. You are correct, they do multiply. A number of members, including myself, will use two tractors at the same time. For example I will use one tractor to gather the leaves with my lawn vacuum and the other with a plow to manage the piles of leaves that I dump.

I have two 42" rear discharge decks and do enjoy using them, especially to mulch leaves at the very end of the leaf patrol in December. The cut is not fine like a side discharge but going over the cuttings a second time allows for more seat time. I have read that the 42" side discharge can sometimes be warped. I'm not sure if is because of owners "stepping on them" or through use. I don't own one so I can't verify it. You will find decks that have the 1/2' rod welded to the front edge from the factory for stiffness are very sturdy.

• Like 2