fishyc160

Hello guys this is my first post here. This C160 was my grand fathers and i just started the restoration. A nice coat of international red and some new decals. What do you guys think ?

CAM00894.jpg

• Like 7

pacer

Some paint and decals and --- voila!! a new tractor, and it aint from a big box store and you can actually work on it yourself! Cant beat it.

Good job ... and by the way, welcome to the madness of red tractors!

oliver2-44

You will enjoy that tractor more and more every time you use it.

AMC RULES
That :wh: looks so nice...    :handgestures-thumbupright:
it's plain to see, you're going to need more storage space. 

Edited by AMC RULES

squonk

I'm partial to the C-160's me self! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

953 nut
:WRS:            Love it when a  :wh:   stays in the family, hope your Grandfather is still with us, he will love it.      :text-welcomeconfetti:

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:          Those big thumpers are the Bomb.            :text-welcomeconfetti:

Wishin4a416

Nice to keep it in the Family. Good job!!

fishyc160

Thanks guys he came by and saw it today. He was happy to see the old girl start right up. The wheels and plow are on tomorrows agenda 

• Like 1

KC9KAS
:WRS:  
Nice C-160.

WHX??

Nice wood splitter too! :text-welcomewave:

infernus

Looks good.  DId you use any filler?  Did you DA the panels?  I need to do this to my C160, and I have some pitted rust in the hood near the muffler.  I'm not confident that glaze putty or bondo is going to hold up to the heat of that muffler.

roadapples

You did good. Love the c160`s. Good for about anything but a 60 in. deck or maybe a 2 stage blower. And welcome to Red Square!

• Like 1

Wcn

Question, my c-160 has hood ornament.is this original or should the hood be smooth?

IMG_20151114_134245083_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES
:roll: That's actually a pretty rare, one year only :wh:...
1-0385 1974 C Series Garden Tractor C-162 8-Speed Tecumseh HH160-170019 16 Wheel Horse 5091

None are currently uploaded in the pict gallery, but based on the other '74 models that are...
I'd say your hood ornament is definitely supposed to be there.

:WRS:

• Like 1

tbarnhart

Nice tractor. I keep a lookout for other C-160s with that Tec OH160 engine. As craig stated, only produced that way in '74 because of a shortage of engines from Kohler. Yours seems to be pretty clean and original, and yes, the hood emblem was standard until '76. Here's the thread I started when I refreshed mine a while back. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/47858-74-c-160-refresh-and-mod/#comment-440822 I was lucky enough to get it included in the '15 calendar.

• Like 1

fishyc160

Hey guys thanks all so much. I havent been able to get on here lately because of some computer problems. But its really coming along. I just finished mounting the new tires! 

CAM00964.jpg

• Like 1

fishyc160

And hardly any filler. I was lucky to have minimal rust. Just small pits everywhere on the hood and fenders. I sanded to bare metal and applied a layer of bondo. Then hit it with 80 grit to take it down to bare metal again minus all the valleys that were filled. 

Here is the first bondo application 

CAM00881.jpg

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:   Using a plastic filler directly over old paint is never a good idea. Some fillers are part of a coating system that are applied over a compatible primer, others are intended to be applied directly to prepared metal surfaces. When the hood sits in the sun and heats up the adhesion between the old paint and the filler may fail. Be sure you are following the instructions for the product you are using. Also, you will want to remove all of the residual adhesive from the decals, 3M and others make some great products for this.

We all want your project to be a real success.
  • Like 2