Jerzguy2

Want to buy a trailer

Jerzguy2

Want to ask for opinions as to what you would do "next time" if you would get a trailer. I'm tired of renting and missing great deals, just because I don't have a trailer sitting in the yard. What would you buy if knowing what you know now. How big is just right and is enclosed really worth the investment?      Jack

bmsgaffer

I have a 6x10 from Sure-Trac. I really like it, but I bought small because I dont have a lot of storage space and I dont forsee ever carrying a ton.

I really like it, sturdy, durable, pulls easy. Weighs 990 and can haul payload of 2k. Price was reasonable.

@shallowwatersailor bought a larger Sure-Trac, so he will be able to pop in and give you his run down on how its been doing.

squonk

IMHO get the biggest trailer you can afford,store and comfortably tow.

elliot ness

Get a trailer bigger then you think you might need,as long as you have a 1/2 ton pickup truck or a big suv, that way 2 or 3 horses can ride at one time.:ROTF:

Sparky

I guess it depends on what you are hauling or think you might haul in the future......and what you have for a tow vehicle. 
So a "C" series is about 5'6" long so two of them back to back is 11'......I believe they are about 36" wide so side by side a pair is 6'. If you wanted to haul 4 of them (like I have a few times to the WH show) a 6x12 is the way to go. Mine has a drop down rear gate which makes loading/unloading a snap. My Big-Tex trailer is actually 6'-6"x12'.
What would I do different? I would spring for an aluminum trailer.......mine is starting to rust quite a bit.
Mike..........

shallowwatersailor

I went round and round about this earlier this year. What I wanted was just like you, a trailer that I could just hookup behind my 3/4 ton truck and go! It also would be cheaper, easy to store, and tow on a regular basis instead of a tandem  I ended with a 6'x12' Sure Trac single axle. My hopes were to carry two 5xi. Dimension-wise it should work but I am just short about three inches because I added a sleeve hitch to one. It would have been at the max GVW as well. Because of this, I wish that I had just bought a 6'x10'. What I have found is the extra foot behind the axle places more leverage on the coupler when loading the 5xi. I am thinking of putting stabilizer jacks for loading on the rear.

I am happy with the Sure Trac brand. After owning it for six months though, I wish that I had gone to a 7'x14' tandem or better yet gone ahead with a local custom-built 6'x14' tandem with my choice of options. Cost would have been higher but paid back in ease of use. Storage has turned out to not be a problem after all. What I have found is that two different size trailers are ideal for our hobby. One small for running after the CL listings and a larger one for shows. But $$$$! 
:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Sparky

What I have found is that two different size trailers are ideal for our hobby. One small for running after the CL listings and a larger one for shows. But $$$$!  :twocents-02cents:

Very true! I have a 6x12 for heavier loads and multiple machines and a 4x8 for just one machine (and craigslist finds).
Mike..........

Shynon

I have a small 5x8 menards drop gate trailer, great for the quick runs. Wish I had a 6x10 at least. I also have a 7x16 RC enclosed trailer, hauls 6 plus attatchments easily, used as a storage shed when not on the road, and a place to sleep at the shows.

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:     I bought an open 5' by 12' with 2X6 PT wood floor, 15" tires and a drop gate a while ago and doubt that I will ever use the 8' trailer with 8" tires again. 

WNYPCRepair

Well, after finishing my HF trailer, I would hesitate to recommend going that route. I probably have about $600 in it at this point, and it sits high off the ground, so a ramp at the back will probably not be practical. I guess tomorrow I will test the tilt feature and see how dangerous it is. It is also small at 5 x 8, so if funds permit, you are probably better off with a larger trailer from the start

Edited by WNYPCRepair

Jerzguy2

Thanks to everyone for their reply's and hints on what to consider. I originally thought about getting a enclosed trailer and found a sweet deal on a used 5 X 8, but my 417 wouldn't fit through the opening of the double doors with the 48" deck on it. The thought about using one for additional storage for a tractor when sitting in the yard was also a thought, but the huge investment at this time turns me off. So, I'm pretty sure I'll go for an open trailer and put it up for sale if I decide to go the enclosed route. I doubt that I'll ever tow a bunch of rigs to the show excludes the need for a big trailer. What I didn't consider was carrying two side by side, so this was helpful. I think I've narrowed it down to either a 10 or 12', with a heavy axle rating, so I can use it for firewood. Thanks for the opinion on the HF trailer that I glance at while in the store tonight, just no way can I see myself doing that route. Guess I'll take measurements on my two machines and see what the fit is.   Jack