Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bullington

Wheel Horse New Style

Michael Bullington

Hey I see Alot of users here the new style wheel horses...ex,,416,418,520 etc..I like the looks of these ,,I would not mind having one of these one day. what advise does anyone have on these models...educate me on these types of tractor...any info is good info I know nothing about em :hide:

evanloock

All good tractors. Just need to decide whether you want a hydro or 8-speed. Early 416's came with a single cylinder Kohler, later models had a twin Onan. If you want the ability to mount a 60 inch deck then you need a 520 with the upswept front axle. All great tractors, just make sure you get one that suits your needs.

dgjks6

Wow - this could be a long post. Sorry, its late, I'm awake, and I'm bored.

Well it started in 1985 - when they switched from the A,B,C,D's to numbers (not sure where you wanted to start)

In 85 the made 200's, 300's, and 400's. They also made 100's wich are the rear engine riders - but I think these are strictly small mowers.

The 200's were different. They came with 3, 5, or auto transmission. They had a stamped frame (I think that is the right term) - and a lot of them came with Briggs engines)

The 300's and 400's had the frames like we are used to seeing and they were the same on both tractors. I think the difference between the 3 and 4 initially were the 4's had different from spindles (maybe longer to hanger the 8 inch front tires) and different transmissions and brakes - I assume they were slightly heavier dutier (I don't even know if those are words). These are the maroon stripes you see referred to in some posts. The 3's had 10-14 hp engines with 8 speed or Auto. I think the auto meant the transmission only was hydro, but the deck and stuff was controlled like the 8 speeds. The 400's came in 16-17 hp motors. I think they were all kohlers (not the magnums yet). In 86 they put out a 8 hp 300 and a 20 hp 400 (the famed 420LSE).

In 1988 they added the 500's. The 300's and 400's stayed relatively the same through out the rest of production. The 300 was produced until 2007 in the classic GT 315-8 - which is basically the same as the 1985 version except a different kohler engine and more safety/convenience stuff. They had pretty wide turning radiuses and never got to the smaller turning a lot of other tractors got to.

The 500's came intitally in 16, 18, and 20 hp with Onan and they were hydro's for everything. The 520 had a bigger frame also then the rest of them. They also had their own tranmission (even heavier dutier - there is that word again). They also did not make any auto's in the 300 or 400 that year.

Every year had a slight variation in hp and motor and there were a lot to choose from. In 1990 the maroon stripe disappeared and the word toro appeared. They also started to offer the 300 and 400's with full hydromatic. Some came with Kohler engines and some had Onan's. You could even get a 300 with 16hp. The 500's had a different transmission. Also they made an 8 speed 500. The 500's had different frames - and the 518 was even different from the 520. I think the 520 is longer (about 4 inches - I think this because of my plow story but I don't have time for that now)

By 1991 the models were getting more limited. 10 and 12 hp 300's, 16 hp 400's, and 20 hp 500's.

1996 was the last year of the 400's and 500's but the 300's had crept up to 14hp over the years (still and always if I'm not mistaken single cylinder kohlers)

In 1998 the 500's reappeared as xi's. These had different sheet metal and looked more modern. I do not know a lot about these but I think they may be shaft driven and be liquid cooled. I think there was even a diesel (the first 500 back in like 85 was 512 diesel also, but I have never seen or heard of one of these really existing).

Through the late 90's and early 00's you could get a 300 with 12 or 14 hp. I really have never seen many of these around. Then finally in 02 the 300's settled at 15 hp 8 speeds and I think that is how they continued out their production run in 07.

All of these tractors had the attachamatic system so almost all attachments could go back and forth between the 300, 400, and 500's. Actually you can go back to the mid 70's and get the same attachments for the most part.

There are some differences you have to check thought. Just a few are some of the 300's had 6 inch wheels - a little smaller and you could get a 37 inch 2 blade awesome cutting deck to fit. Some of the 400's also had 6 inch tires up front. Also some of the attachment were made for the 500's and they were longer so they fit correctly. The 500's also developed forward swept axles for even more room underneath. They also had different steering after a time.

Wow that was long.

In summary they are great tractors that seem to last forever and lots of interchangeable parts and attachments. I also know some people are worried about the Onan motors found on some of the 4's and 5's because they are getting hard to get parts for - Onan no longer exists.

Anyway, that is what I know, I think I know, and what I have learned since taking and interest in my 89 312-8 - the best tractor ever made (OK I'm biased)

Greg

kpinnc

Very good desciption Greg, IMHO.

There were a few things to clarify though. There are a few exceptions to these general descriptions, but for the most part, these are correct:

The 520 series tractors used the same frame and transmissions as the 400 and some 300 series tractors. Any of the hydros with hydraulic lift in these series had the exact same rear end as a 520-H, and the 400 series 8 speeds were the same ones used in the 520-8s. The last few years of the 300 (314 and 315-8) series also used the heavier 8 speeds.

The wheelbase difference on the 1991 and up 520 was due to the forward swept axles on those models. The frames were pretty much the same. The axles were installed to allow room for the 60 inch decks that were available for the 520. They also came standard with 1 inch OD front spindles. The other tractors of the same era came with 3/4 OD spindles in the front.

Also, the earlier 300 series 8 speeds used 1 inch rear axles and 4 pinion differentials as opposed to the 1 and 1/8th OD axles and 8 pinion diffs of the heavier 8 speeds and hydros. However, all hydros of this era were virtually identical as far as the transaxle was concerned. Some used the Eaton 700 series pumps (non- hydraulic lift models), and the rest used 1100 series pumps.

Kevin

wh500special

The 512D was an export model and it's pretty unlikely that you'll find any in the US. It was actually not at all like the later 516/518/520 tractors but was merely a uniquely badged 400 series with a single cylinder Robin (nee Wisconsin) air cooled diesel.

The 5xi tractors were available in various flavors (518xi, 520xi, 520LXi, 522xi, and 523Dxi) and were 18-23 hp machines that shared almost nothing with earlier Wheel Horses. The Lxi had a water cooled Kawasaki twin and the Dxi a watercooled Vanguard-Briggs (Diahatsu I think) 3-cyl diesel. Some had power steering too. Awesome machines.

Essentially, the 300/400/500 series tractors were just an evolution of the prior C-series and are fundamentally the same. All are nice, heavy duty GT's. or, should I say, "heavier dutier" than the typical riding mower.

Toro bought WH in 1986, but as was indicated didn't start putting their label on these things until the 1990 model year.

Steve

Jim_M

"Onan no longer exists."

I just want to clarify that. Onan does still exist, Cummins diesel owns them now. They still build Onan generators for RV's. Parts are still available for Onan engines, but they are expensive.

JimD

i have one question. where do you guys get this information, and how do you retain it? uh, make that 2 questions. i mean, i'm on here and mtf every day reading posts from what i believe are the most informative group of people i've ever seen, and i just can't keep up. i love this forum because i get most of my questions answered without even asking, just by reading. that's a lot of history to have rolling around in your head. thanks though, cause i learn a little more every day. jim.

BPjunk

I do pick up the 330,400 and 500 series once in a while to trade/sell off ....... BUT the one I want for collection is the 308-8 with the all red hood (no black stripe). The 308-8 had the light duty 8 speed with 1 inch axles and four pinion gears, the no black stripe gave the tractor a different look. :hide:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

C-Series14

Well, it is from years of collecting info. I myself started by getting what manuals I could by going on EBay, the internet, etc. I downloaded most of the free ones from the Toro site. I have both of Mike Martino's books, and I have several parts diagram websites bookmarked. I also have the Toro Quick-Ident Reference List that lists all VIN numbers and other info for all the stuff WH made. I also have an old program that was available to dealers to look up stuff. And... I have alot of info rolling around in my head!!! :hide:

Teddy da Bear

Aren't we lucky to have wheel horse genius'/encylopedias?? :hide:

Which gives rise to an idea. We should have a "trivia night" in the

chatroom. Might be interesting to play "stump the gurus"....lol

bitten

Wild Bill Im with you about the red hoods. I have a 310-8 red hood and think it is just the coolest looking 300's Ive seen. Not sure if it is because there are not many of them or what it is, but when the restore is done it will still have the red hood.

I dont know if the red hood ment something or if they just ran out of black paint. I use to think it was more of just a lawn mower. I have been told that they were sold at Kmart stores but still not sure. This thing has done everything that I have asked it to do.

P.J.

illinilefttackle

:hide: Let us not forget the "BLACKHOODS". Of course I'm partial-AL

plow08006.jpg

dgjks6

I keep learning things every day. For example, I thought the all red hoods were repaints and not original. Cool.

Also thank you guys from clarifying my information. And sorry about my spelling and grammar spelling.

And as far as the Onan's - Do they still make parts for the 20hp engines? I did not know that also. Thank you.

Greg

Michael Bullington

thanks guys...thats more information that I could of found in 6 months!! :hide:

Maybe I can replace my John Deere. with a real mower this summer :horseplay:

Jim_M

And as far as the Onan's - Do they still make parts for the 20hp engines? I did not know that also. Thank you.

Greg

Yes, you can still buy parts for the 20 hp Onans. You should be able to get them at any Toro dealer, any Cummins parts supplier (though they probably have to order them), NAPA, or almost any of the online parts houses.

T-Mo

Another clarification also, the older 300 series, i.e. the mid to late 80's had the 6 inch front rims while the newer 300 series had the 8 inch front rims. I think the newer 300 series became more of a 300/400 variant than just a 300 series.

marvairplanes
I do pick up the 330,400 and 500 series once in a while to trade/sell off ....... BUT the one I want for collection is the 308-8 with the all red hood (no black stripe). The 308-8 had the light duty 8 speed with 1 inch axles and four pinion gears, the no black stripe gave the tractor a different look.

BPjunk

Marv,

The black stripe = black grill.

I hope I did not get you excited to think you needed to find a "black stripe" model for your collection. :hide:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Glicher

I have a 1963 33E retored now just getting the motor finish up hope it looks as good as you'rs.

Dan