IMG_20150926_084450424.jpg

IMG_20150926_084502544.jpg

Double vision again? Ugh?

• Like 4

Brian01

Can't get enough....been cruisin' around the yard on it all mornin' lol

• Like 2

Brian01

Just been pondering....does anyone know exactly how long an RJ58 lify cable is, from crimped end to crimped end? Thinking of building me so I can use my rear hitch... And don't have $50 to spend on a new one right now.

953 nut

Steve, I hate to hijack Brian's post, but I would love to see some more pictures of that hybrid round hood with the extended frame and an eight speed trans-axle.

• Like 1

Brian01

No worries 953 nut.

I still have had no luck finding out length of RJ lift cable.

slammer302

I have one off a suburban should be the same length i can measure it in min 

Brian01

Cool...wunna get rid of it?

Brian01

Just thought I'd share this pic with my new throttle control on.

IMG_20150928_193203936.jpg

• Like 2

Brian01

Well I know it's not really the proper place for this but...got the lift cwblefrom slammer n put it on, and this morning I built some weights for the front, painted them and got them on...

IMG_20151009_140500633.jpg

IMG_20151009_140511230.jpg

• Like 1

Brian01

OK I know kinda old thread but I need a little advise...I made a brake rod out of a piece of all thread..it works fine but my pedal is way back. How can I make it be like straight up? Different spring? Longer brake rod? I know the suburban 400 is supposed to be like 20 7/8" long..the one I built is like 18 or so.

1447441698362-1567731341.jpg

Racinbob

The clutch arm looks to be pulled a bit farther than it should be. Mine doesn't go quite that far without a belt and the idler arm against the real belt guard bolt. Is the idler assembly all good? The spring won't change things. As far as the rod length, a longer one would compound the problem. The issue there is the clutch pedal. It's not right. Here's a picture of mine and the difference is obvious.:)

DSCN0336.JPG

Oh geez! I forgot we are dealing with an RJ/Suburban hybrid here. That clutch pedal is for the RJ setup. I'm thinking the easiest fix is to find a Suburban pedal or modify that one for the proper geometry.

Edited by Racinbob

Brian01

Yes I weldeda tab at the bottom of pedal, as shown in your pic there, that's how I have it connected, so that shouldn't matter either

Racinbob

No, not at all as long as it works. It's just that you'll have a longer pedal throw to engage/disengage the clutch. You can see the angle in the vertical part of the pedal making the rod connection further forward. There lies the issue in the rod length. :)

Brian01

So I need a longer brake rod? Correct?

I think I tried that though, and the pedl broke all the way over before clutch would enguge

Racinbob

No, not with that pedal. A longer one will only make the pedal fall further back and cause the problem you mentioned. A shorter one will bring it forward some. But, a shorter one will also mean the pedal will have to be pushed further forward to disengage. You could make another one and use a threaded trunnion so it will be adjustable. You could weld a longer tab on the bottom making the rod connection farther away from the pivot point effectively making the pedal throw shorter. Basically, the geometry is wrong with the hybrid setup but it can be overcome.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

Brian01

OK I fixed it, somewhat. Moved the rod up one hole on the brake arm. And put the spring in the first hole, where the rod "was"...

1447453598004-1567731341.jpg

14474536459831306486114.jpg

14474536805211146046828.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob

Interesting. Those extra holes are aftermarket. But if it works there's no harm done. :)

• Like 1

Brian01

Yeah it has kinda "soft " brakes that way, but may be able to adjust it out.

But does work....looks a llittle better too!

I actually need a brake rod, instead of all thread, because it "gives" whenever you hit the brake.

Edited by Brian01

slammer302

You need lift trunnion that ur piece of all thread can screw through and it will let adjust were the pedal is and how far it can travel

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Racinbob

The 60 tractors had a fixed length rod. The 61's had a threaded trunnion. Since, as manufactured at the time, only one hole to choose from the adjustable only changed the pedal position. The travel was determined on the back end. Belt stretch and brake adjustment. There's not much forgiveness in these oldies. :)

• Like 1

Brian01

Yeah, itd be nice if there was a "stop" on the brake pedal, so it cant spin all the way around..I Painted the engine Pulley this morning, gave it a little something ...lol

IMG_20151114_102608680_TOP.jpg

Brian01

Hey, was thinking of trying to find a different spring for the brakes, as you can see in the pics, the one I'm using is really to big around....looks hiddious. Can someone tell me what the correct length spring I need?

Also would like some opinions....I was thinking about removing the engine and painting the block and all? Or should I just leave it be?

I need to get the ol k90 done and put it on there. Is what I need to do.

Edited by Brian01