Brian01

Brake pedal Set-Up

Brian01

That's what I'm saying, you can push the brake, it'll stop spinning, take it out of a gear (to put it into another)and it starts spinning again. Belt to tight?

Racinbob

I think your belt is fine. You must have a belt guard on it in order for the belt to stop properly. It sorta guides the clutched belt away from the spinning engine pulley and allows it to stop. It's the same for all Wheel Horses, not just the Suburbans. When you stop but still have it in gear the input pulley is being held and offers enough resistance to stop the belt. Shift to neutral and the pulley freewheels.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Brian01

You know where to find one for an RJ 58? There's usually one on EBay, but not now, that I can find anyway, also looked in vendor section here on RS, with no luck. Overlooking it?

Racinbob

I sent you a PM with his email. It looks to me like you'll need a Suburban belt guard, not a RJ. RJ's have a flat idler pulley and push the belt down to tighten.

• Like 1

Brian01

Ohh true, yes..duh..

slammer302

yeah ur problem is not having a belt guard my suburban does the same thing but if i idle it all the way down i can get it into gear without grinding 

Brian01

I'll try n get one asap. Went to try n have the exhaust done a sec ago but he wasn't there...hopefully just out to lunch.

stevasaurus

Here is an option until you get that belt guard.  You can bend the wire to funnel the slack in the belt toward the engine pulley.  This works great until you find a belt guard.  :)

• Like 3

Brian01

Cool, thanks for the pics

This is mind of off subject, but I also need a URL of where I can order some RJ decals

slammer302

Redoyouhorse.com or ebay

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian01

Redoyourhorse.com.....I have looked on there several times....just couldn't think of it for some reason lol.

Ima do as Steve suggested for now on belt guides.

Just don't have the extra $70ish for a belt guard

slammer302

That's why I don't have one yet either

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Brian01

lol...I'm out here in the shop right now, trying to build the "guides" for it

1443149614397-358249882.jpg

• Like 3

Brian01

Not the prettiest, but so far, is functioning as should...

14431507596411531426983.jpg

• Like 3

AMC RULES
You need a belt cover. 

Brian01

You buyin'? lol

Racinbob

As long as you're getting the belt to stop you'll be fine. Well, just watch your pant legs, fingers.......:)

• Like 2

Brian01

lol yeah, for sure. It's stopping, for now anyway, really need "thicker" guide rods...I use pegboard hangers to build these, they are just a little flimsey. But not bad

stevasaurus

Go to ACE or TSC and buy some sturdier rod.  Looks like you have them in the right place.  They should be about 1/4" away from the belt when the belt is under tension.  Looks good Brian and at least you can ride it without hurting that trans.  :)

Brian01

Yep, seems to work okay, now getting a metal gas tank....i took the plastic one and stuck under it for now, but after i get exhaust ran up there, that plastic wont do..the metal one I got with the RJ, it has been welded on bottom.and I also had to JB Weld afew pin holed.....I put gas in it a bit ago and is sitting out there right now...so far, I haven't found any leaks, but the inside is not so clean..
Trying to find some kind of acid or something to clean it with...I know all the small engine guys around here say that Toilet Bowl cleaner works great, vinager , etc..I don't have an electrolysis barrel set up yet, so that's not an option.

Oh and I've already done the "small rocks inside and shaking the heck out of it" .lol

And it may be good enough, but I dang sure dont wunt anything sucked up in the carb of that great running motor...

Never fails, start first pull almost every time!

stevasaurus

Put an inline fuel filter in there.  :)  Cheap insurance.

Brian01

Yep, for sure. Should I go with a small one or medium size?

stevasaurus

A small one should be good...buy 2 and change it after some time.  :)  I think they are as big around as a quarter.

Brian01

Yeah the umm " pancake" type.. Metal tank is installed...ill go get fuel filter in awhile

1443198903412-358249882.jpg

• Like 2

Brian01

Got the fuel filter put on, and EXHAUST finally ran....should be good to go for now...took it for a cruise around the yard a bit ago...after getting the exhaust on! Much quieter

• Like 2