Brad GREENWALD

keeping the patina

Brad GREENWALD

working on my 753 had a lot of surface rust wd40 and sanded it just wondering if i put clear coat paint on it  or leave it 

slammer302

I normally just lather them up with 10w-30 about once a month but you can clear coat them if you want 

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:   I would leave it alone, even a flat finish would have a bit of a sheen to it.

Brad GREENWALD

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

not shiney dull

• Like 2

squonk

WD it again and jut wipe it lightly

DennisThornton

Don't paint over WD-40 unless you want the paint to peal off!

WD-40 leaves enough to keep the paint from sticking well but very little protection after a few days.  Take a look at TC-11.  You might consider mixing the two or just thinning the TC-111 quite a bit with kero or paint thinner.  Kero will dry slowly and allow the TC-11 to seep in deeply but the thinner will dry faster and get you going quicker.  Also take a look at Fluid Film.  Mostly sheep lanolin but it works wonders on steel like it does your leather goods and less annoying to get on your hands or clothing than grease and petroleum oils. Allow as much time to dry as you can and then wipe off any offending excess.  All of them will collect some dust but that beats the heck out of watching it rust more!  But then a quick pressure blast and a little more "stuff" and you are right back where you were and hopefully no more rust than you had.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Johnsons wood floor paste wax works well too...
shines up nicely, and protects from rusting.   
:twocents-02cents:
400319540854_1_0_1.jpg
IMG_2402.thumb.JPG.2c3b84aa8f9eee24f319d

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 9

DennisThornton

Wax is great, especially carnuba, and I'm pretty sure that's a major component of the Johnson's Floor Wax and I'm sure TC-11 has some waxes as well.  Problem is to get that wax to work it's way down into the pits and crevices.  Great thing about the wax is that it holds up well and doesn't feel greasy or collect dust like oils.  The wax can be thinned with paint thinner or perhaps better yet some WD-40 and prayed on as well.  A hair dryer can even encourage the wax to work it's way down a bit deeper as can a bright sun on a hot day!

55rj35jr

marvell mystery oil put it in a spray bottle lightly spray it wipe down, leaves a satin finish penetrates the original paint and doesn't leave a oily residue or odor that oil or WD gives,I use it on all my original horses & very pleased with it.

• Like 4

Brad GREENWALD

thank for all the good ideas guy

• Like 1

DennisThornton

I keep Mystery Oil here.  It is somewhat of a mystery why since I don't use it much <grin> but I've read so many good comments that I thought I had to have some.  Never thought of it as a better than regular oil rust preventative.  I'll try it!

For decades I've researched how to fight rust and somehow "OWATROL OIL" has escaped me!  Maybe a vague memory but not readily available here in the states so I might not have spent much time with it.  Amazon now offers it but "Ouch!"

http://www.amazon.com/Owatrol-733-Oil-1-Liter/dp/B007NH3G0O?tag=duckduckgo-d-20  I though TC-11 was pricey!

Still, a very interesting product!

Anything else you can ad?  I'm quite curious about this product!

DennisThornton

Well, C-101plowerpower,  I just added Owatrol to my Amazon wish list. 
Thanks for the tip!

bds1984

Fluid Film is a definite must have for anyone's shop. It works well on shining up a weathered surface like many of our horses have. It is also an excellent rust proofing agent for those of us in the rust belt. 

DennisThornton

I'm surprised that I read and hear so little about both TC-11 and Fluid Film!  Both are really great products if you hate rust!