Tszydd

Got me a 310-8

Tszydd

So a friend of mine bought a new lawn tractor for himself and was going to scrap this last year.  I have fond memories of my parents neighbors old Wheel horse from when I was a kid ( which he still uses almost daily).  So I offered him $100 for it all and picked it up with intent to repair.  Its been sitting in my dads barn for the past 2 years and now its time to decide its future.. 

It runs pretty good save for a little blue smoke.  I changed all fluids when i first picked it up.

Here are a few pictures of it all.   Very curious what you guys think here.  I would very much like to get it somewhat restored.  The main reason I grabbed it was because it has the snowthrower with it.   I have a long driveway and this would be awesome.  Its only a 10 hp so im not sure if it would be worth the trouble for the snowthrower.

Anyway, looking forward to what every one thinks.

Thanks

Tom

IMG_2320.JPG

IMG_2324.JPG

IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

• Like 5

bean

I had one for a few years. they are great tractors. don't underestimate what that 10hp kohler can do . it has lots of power. you could get a 42" deck . and although I never had the opportunity to try one, I believe it would handle a 48" deck
oops, I didn't see the deck in the background:blink:

Edited by bean

953 nut
:WRS:      That was a great buy for $100, if it was mine I would mount the snow blower and work it for the winter. When I lived near Syracuse NY (snow belt) I had a 10 HP and did several driveways in the neighborhood with no problem. Your :wh: could use a little love, but that can wait until spring.
:text-welcomeconfetti:  to  :rs:

dcrage

310-8 will do just about anything you want. The 60 inch deck is too much, there are strings on here saying the 2 stage snow blowers are a bit much, and FEL are not compatible because of lack of hydrolics and small front spindles. Other than that your tractor can handle any WH attachment from like 1975 going forward. 

$100 for everything you are showing is a great deal!!

608KEB

It should have plenty of power with a 10 h.p. I've cleaned my driveway with a B100 hydro.It handled it no problem. I also like mowing the lawn with the a C100 or the B100. They are lighter and easy to maneuver

Tszydd

The more i read about this tractor the more excited i get about it.  Looking through the pictures I realize it looks much worse in photos then in the barn. Last winter was a record year for snowfall around here, might try to get it ready for this year at least.  I am giving serious thought to turning it into a resto project.  Not show quality, but a good rebuild so it'll be good for another 30 years.

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It
You will be happy with what a good pressure washing and polishing will do. The 10 horsepower magnum with do alot of work with the low range transmission. New spark plug, new air filter, and a carb tuning of the high speed needle will extract as much power as the engine will produce as it is now, especdially if you can find non-ethanol gasoline where you live. Don't forget to check the little rubber hose that connects the back of the air cleaner cover to the crankcase. Alot of times this hose is cracked or missing.  The little hose recirculates crankcase pressure to the carb intake. Grease everything that has a grease fitting. Spray silicone every other moving part that does not have a grease fitting. There is a grease fiitting behind the engine at the steeering gear, also another one where the front axle pivots. Change the transmission oil and replace the shifter boot. Throw the old seat away and put a new one in its place. You should have less than $100 invested in these maintenance items. A gas cap  if needed can run between $5 for a basic one to under $20 for a factory style replacement with fuel gauge.
I'm happy to hear you want to keep and use this tractor for the next thirty years. If you do these simple steps that I have laid out for you the tractor will give you good comfortable service till the engine has to be rebuilt due to major wear. In the meantime keep an eye out for a replacement 14 or 16 horsepower low hour magnum engine that came off of an Wheel Horse tractor such as a 414 or 416. There you will get the power you want to run a 48" mowing deck or other implements that demand more power than the 10 horsepower magnum will provide.
  • Like 3

bmsgaffer

I agree with most of the above. I ran a 10hp for years.

It really depends on your personality type to tell you if 10hp will be enough for the snowblower. It will work great if you are patient and take reasonably sized bites, but if you are the kind that just likes to throw everything you got at it and watch snow fly, you will bog it down.

Either way, if you hook that plow on it for the 8" or less snowfalls, that 10 HP will push like a tractor twice its size.

I would not recommend a 48" deck, you will probably be disappointed, but a 42" or less it handles with very little issues. (you look to have a pair of 36" decks)

@dcrage the 310 can handle a FEL (front end loader) just fine, as the hydraulics are added separately to the PTO.

Recommendations for winter: Chains really help it bite, but you can scratch up your drive pretty god if you arent careful. WEIGHT, WEIGHT and MORE WEIGHT. These tractors are far stronger than their weight would suggest. The heavier you can get the back end, the better bite you will have to push/blow snow. I have loaded rear tires and will be running an additional 50lb on each wheel this year (added about 220lbs total) and since I am not a heavy fella, I might throw on a few suitcase weights. I also have 30lb on each front tire to help with steering.

And most of all: browse around here, spend time learning, asking questions and HAVING FUN! These tractors do really make it fun.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 4

Wheel-N-It
I'm impressed that this new member wants to make this tractor his and run it for the next thirty years. This is why I went into the details of how to get on the right track of doing such a thing. I clearly remember the day I bought my 1991 312-8 listed below. I told my Wheel Horse Dealer I was buying a Wheel Horse because I wanted a tractor I was sure would give me at least 20 years of service. Well its 24 years later and still running very very strong. Although the 12 horsepower magnum has been replaced with a 14 horsepower magnum, the original 12M is alive and well and working hard in a Wheel Horse just 6 or 7 miles down the road from me.
I have an attachment to that engine, so it has to stay close to home. LOL
  • Like 4

Tszydd

Thanks for the advice, it is very greatly appreciated.   So I cleaned her up a bit the other day and took a few runs around the yard.  This guy in low gear feels like it will pull a house down lol.  I was tempted to chain it to my van (like a UPS step van but full of tools) and tow it about.

So now I think I have a problem that only 12 steps will solve.....

A search on craigslist and I found this...
I guess i cant upload anymore pics.

But I found a 312-8 with 409 hours.  Bought it up right away.  Best part is I didn't even get in trouble with the old lady   :)
Changed the fluids last night and ran a few mowing passes and Im in tractor heaven

• Like 2

dcrage

When 'pulling houses down' you will quickly learn that traction is always the limiting factor -- I don't think I have ever lugged my 10 horse down -- Lost traction countless times and even overloaded the mower deck by having it set too low (lost traction there, the belt started slipping on the PTO)

semperfi8185

I like it.  They are real workers.  Congrats!