1045tq

scraper bar replacement

1045tq

I just bought a used 79360 blower and the scraper is pretty worn. I was just looking at how much a new one would be, they are anywhere from $38-$45 What do you guys do, do you just make your own? what kind of steel is used and is it just a piece of rectangular flat stock? anyone know the exact size of it?
Thanks

MalMac

First off did you flip it upside down. They are reversible so once you wear out one side you can use the other. Now you could make your own, but the factory ones use a square hole so carriage bolts can be used. If you make your own and drill holes and use hex heads, you run the chance of wearing off the bolt head. So even thought the price is up there at least it gets you two uses out of it.

stevasaurus

2012_1102B100SNOWBLADE0003.thumb.JPG.b2bI use stove bolts...the head is rounded like a carriage bolt but is cut to use a Phillips screwdriver.  The have worked great for me in the round drilled holes.  :)  Should work on a blower also.

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 1

1045tq

I dont think there is enough left of it, to flip it over. The bolts are almost worn away. I was kinda worried it might have started to wear the steel away that the scraper bolts too. Is that possible?

• Like 1

MalMac

Yes, it's very possible. You just have to look and see if it's wore down and got into the blower housing. Also take this time to check your skids to make sure they are not adj. so the scraper is taking all the weight. If that's the case you will wear a new scraper in no time flat.

Jerzguy2

What about making it out of heavy rubber mat?

cheesegrader

I think a rubber mat would tear at the mount holes, unless it is reinforced with something.
I've seen conveyor belting used (at farm supply stores)
but it won't last more than a season.

Jerzguy2

Rubber mat was not my idea, but another member that posted it last year and I plan to try. He buys 3/4" thick mat from tractor supply and cuts to like 1 1/2" width and bolts between plow and blade leaving 3/4" exposed. Says it doesn't tear up driveway and wears well. $40 mat supposed to make 15+ edges.

• Like 1

Pullstart

There is a business in a neighboring town that uses old loader tires cut up for equipment plows.  Imagine a tire cut in half vertically along the center of the tread, then again as a cross section.  possibly if you have a way to cut an old trailer tire or some nylon belted one you could do similar as the thick mat from tractor supply?

• Like 1