Sign in to follow this  
james

snow plow mount

james

well i still don't know what kind of wheel horse i have, i think the slang terms are nut roaster and round nose? i think it's a rj 58 maybe. i bought a plow from a craftsmen tractor for a hundred bucks but had no way of mounting it up. I asked on here for ways of mounting them and got great responses (thanks everyone, it was great help) i got out my welder, grinder and scrap metal i had laying around and came up with something great. I have ag tires on the rear of my tractor (brand new special order cost 200 bucks almost just for rubber) and snow blower tires on the front. anyway, i made up a bracket that bolts right on to my wheel horse on the front 2 bolts on either side of the frame. It works. AWESOME. my father in law bought a farm and has a barn that had about 2 fee of straw and cow manure covering the floor when he bought it. I brought my plow and tractor up there and cleaned the whole barn out and had a blast! I couldn't beleive the power it has...i have a brand new 6.5 horsepower engine on it and chain drive centrifugal clutch. it was raining and i was pushing it all out the back barn door so traction could have been better but I was and still am just amazed. got the barn done and busted off the gear shifter the next morning offroading it through his mud pits in his field and next to his barn. brought it home, pulled the shifter out of the gearbox and welded it up and works great. a few days prior, the gear box wouldn't go into gear, it seized up. took the whole gear box apart and there were steel pins for the shifter that needed to be lubed. so i took it all apart, lubed it up and the gears inside were MINT. so it runs perfect again.

I'd like to post pics but don't know if i can on here since i'm new (and don't know how or if i'm allowed) it was pushing wet manure piles up to 2.5 feet tall and the width of the plow with ease. we haven't had much snow here yet in canada where i am (near toronto) but i think traction may be a problem. i have a brand new snowblower for backup though.

it was recomended by many people on here for me to scrap the dozer blade and get a wheel horse plow for it. i know wheel horse parts are far more common in the states where you guys all are. it's RARE to find one here. that's why i made the brackets and used the plow i got for a hundred bucks.

how do i post pics on here?

linen beige

Good to hear that you got her going!

I don't think anyone has identified your 'Horse for you yet. If it is the one shown on your profile page it's a very easy one to ID. That's a model 551, built in 1961. It is the only mid engine model that used the two piece cast iron transmission case.

It originally had a Lauson 5.5 HP engine with electric AND recoil start.

james

that's awesome..thanks so much!

Teddy da Bear

And we almost never forget to welcome a new member and his horse/horses.

:hide: