Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Side Discharge vs. Rear Discharge

nylyon

Well as the controversary grows, I have taken the plunge and did one part of my yard with the 42" side discharge and the other with the 42" rear discharge with recycler kit installed. Both decks have brand new Wheel Horse branded blades and have been adjusted properly. The cut utilized the 416 hydro for both decks. The following are the pictures of the result.

Picture 1

lawn1.JPG

Picture 2

lawn2.JPG

Picture 3

lawn3.JPG

Picture 4

lawn4.JPG

Can you tell which of these are from the recycler and which from the side?

Pictures 1, 2 and 3 are the recycler and picture 4 is the side discharge. It is hard to tell with these pictures and to be honest, the recycler had a tougher than usual time since it was the first time it was used this season. I had mowed the lawn several times with the side and didn't use the sweeper afterwards so the recycler had a lot to mulch up.

Sparky

I like the cut in pic#2 best... :D ...are ya mowin at midnight in that one? But seriously, I cant see a difference. I do know that my deck with no baffles is leaving a grass clipping trail about 6"-8" wide out the back as I mow. It comes out one side(cant remember which) so I'm thinking the baffles are to keep the grass coming out the rear of the deck more evenly. I'm not one of those guys who needs a golf course lawn so I'm not to concerned and I guess it would only be a real problem if I let the grass go to long and then the clipping trail would be an eyesore.

Mike

nylyon

Without the recycler mine will leave most of it out the right side as well. Just the way the blades spin I suppose. In pic #2, the sun was setting and I guess the camera thought it was brighter than it was.