montess85

552 Trans

montess85

Hey guys.  Just bought my first tractor.  I cant wait to start restoring it.  I had a question about the trans on it.  Its a 1962 522.  The shifter on the trans is a little loose.  I can twist or rotate it side to side.  Also it seems to shift a little sloppy.  Doesnt always like to go into gear.  What am I looking at?   Is it going to be junk?     

slammer302

its probably just the set screw on the shifter needing tightened it is located at the base of the shifter under the shifter boot. :text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 2

gwest_ca

If you can twist it it sounds like the donut on the shifter is no longer secured to the shifter. Some are welded but many are retained by a roll pin that shares the hole with the dog-point set screw. You will understand once you remove the shifter. Before you pull it out try to shift it into neutral so it goes back together easier.

Garry

• Like 2

Racinbob

You're probably going to be fine. Worse case would be what Garry said but that would be easy to fix. Back the set screw out more to remove the shifter and check the donut out. Providing it's OK look down the shifter hole and the forks should look like this. That's in neutral. There's a hole on the front of the shifter donut. Insert the shifter and tighten the set screw making sure the dog point goes into that hole using a 1/8" allen wrench (providing somebody didn't make their own set screw from a bolt). Snug it until you feel the resistance as you shift through the gears. Then back off just a fuzz so the resistance goes away and hold it there while you tighten the lock nut (not shown in the picture) with a 7/16" wrench.

shifter forks.jpg

• Like 2

montess85

Thanks for the input. I will check that out when I get home.   This site is gonna be a big help. 

• Like 1

montess85

Well guys.....I pulled the shifter out....The set screw was loose like you said, but I think I have another problem...I decided to drain the gear oil and water came out...What are my options?   It seems to shift good and everything moves ok....Am I in the clear?   I flushed it out with more gear oil and it seems clear of water.    

• Like 1

953 nut
:WRS:      Diesel oil would be a better choice for a flush, it will mix with the water that may be trapped in your bearings and in shafts that gears slide on. Put in a couple quarts of diesel, drive it around a few minutes in each gear to get good circulation then drain and refill with gear oil.

Good luck and remember,    :wwp:
  • Like 2

montess85

Yea I used diesel fuel to flush it out first

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Do you know how long the tractor was sitting and was it sitting outside?  :)

montess85

Not sure.  Oil was pretty brown.  I had just pressure washed it not realizing the shifter boot was pretty bad.  I'm sure some water got in from there.   

• Like 1

stevasaurus

These transmissions are pretty bullet proof...you may be OK just doing what you did.  I would use it, keep an eye on it for seals leaking and maybe change the oil next spring if you get a fair amount of hours on it.  :)

montess85

Yea I'll probably run in.  I might change the axle seals anyway. They look like they were leaking.  Does anyone know a part number or where to get new seals?

stevasaurus

Axle seals are SKF 9815...NAPA or Motion Industries will have them.  If you go to TORO the # 100863.  :)

gwest_ca

Try if for a while. You may find the new gear lube won't leak out. Mine didn't.

Garry

montess85

It might not. I only noticed the diesel leaking while I was flushing it but that is a lot thinner than gear oil

montess85

Anyone know of a good place to get the set screw for the shifter?

stevasaurus

If you send me your address in a PM, I will send you one for nothing.  :)  Fastenal has them, but you need to buy 25 for about $5.  Up to you.

It's in the mail, you should get it Monday.   :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2