Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

Plowing Snow

dgjks6

So I got a plow - and got it working finally (well, sort of - I can only plow left - but that is another story) and we have snow. I had the afternoon off so I plowed my driveway with my daughter on my lap, then she had so much fun we did my neighbor across the street, then my other neighbor, then my next door neighbor got stuck and I plowed their driveway. I could make a living doing this.

Why did you guys tell me it was this much fun. Now do NOT tell my wife.

And is a blower even more fun?

Greg

Teddy da Bear

I like plowing better.

If there is a wind.......you likely get snow back in the face

with a blower.

Plow is faster under most snow conditions. I can do my

350ft. drive in 15 minutes (without picky cleanup). Blower

would take almost 40 minutes of slow driving.

bambooheels

i like plowing better myself. the feel like a challenge if that makes any sense. and for all you HATERS i plow with a 657 TECUMSEH!!!!! :hide: but yes last year was my first year it was a blast! and i have a 400 foot incline driveway. glad your having fun, maybe some pictures

Sparky

Plowing is way more fun than blowing snow.....but sometimes you have to much snow and no where to plow it to. Then the blower rocks :hide: !!

Mike........

wallfish

Plowing is way more fun than blowing snow.....but sometimes you have to much snow and no where to plow it to. Then the blower rocks :hide: !!

Mike........

I agree 100%. plowing is more fun but sometimes you just have to shoot it 40 ft away

Nick

I like plowing but wouldnt mind having a blower for that rare deep snow we might get in WC Ohio. Sold the brohers big xi so I'll be back on the 857 with a blade and the Lawn Ranger loader this year.

That 657 should plow good on the downhill run. :hide: To be honest Ive never used a tec powered Horse so I shouldnt have a bias, but I do. :D

Sparky

When its this deep its better to blow the snow than plow it. After a few storms of this size in a row, you'll find your driveway starts to get narrower and narrower.

Mike........(just looking for an excuse to post a pic :hide: )

Nelson343.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Mike that isn't deep snow! That is just a daily dusting you have there... :hide:

Nick

When it looks like things are getting bad I always plow snow out 5 or 6' into the yard leaving some space for more storms. It also helps keep drifts from coming so far into the drive.

Mike, Nice pic of the blower in action. :hide:

jtmoyer

I may be alone here but i like the snow blower. if i would be just doing a few long passes i think the plow would be great, plus with a plow you don't have to run the motor at high rpm's unlike when using the blower. But when i do the rest of the houses (about 30 or so) i don't have to plow snow towards their garages. and seeing it shoot 40 feet out isn't that bad either, you just have to make sure you don't blow against the wind.

but all in all it is about spending time using your horse.

jason

dgjks6

I have a very steep driveway and it needs to be down to the concrete to get up. Does the blower get all of the snow off? That has been my concern about using a plow.

Maybe I could get a blower for the deep stuff then plow the finish. I guess that means I would need another tractor so I didn't have to change the attachment. Who knows, maybe by plowing myself and not paying someone every time I'll save up enough money.

P.S. My neighbor - who husband passed away has a JD X5something with a blower - she said I could use it if I wanted because she has no idea how to - I used my horse to plow her driveway but it may be fun.

Sarge

Even for deep stuff I still prefer the plow over the blower . If nothing else, you can ramp the snow up and pile it higher than most would believe . Blowers have several drawbacks, probably the worst of which is windblown snow in the face. Cabs cure that , but they aren't cheap and somewhat of a pain . I know on my old Huskee (I know...) it's blower was so heavy (2 stage) it was almost impossible to lift it or steer . Not to mention, many times we get snow here before the ground is frozen hard . For plows you just have to lift a bit and watch your not lifting gravel if the surface isn't paved - the blower will transplant the driveway in the yard in a big hurry if you're not careful .

Did I mention I prefer the plow?

Sarge

Teddy da Bear

I guess that means I would need another tractor so I didn't have to change the attachment.
And how is getting another tractor a bad thing??? :hide:

Both the plow and blower can get the driveway down to the bare concrete.

The plow just rides on the replaceable blade-edge. But most if not all the blowers

have wheels or stand-off skiis that keep the blower off the ground a bit. You can remove those and let the blower ride on the pavement. However....that is not a

"reinforced" edge like the plow has. you might bend it up if you hit something.

If you do not have pavement....then "no way" do not do this. You will just be

chucking rocks then.

You could put an additional plow like metal edge on the bottom of the blower if

you would like. Just don't interfere with the auger roatation.

I am with Sarge.... Many people do not believe how high a pile a dozer blade

can create. I have had many up to 4 ft. high. Neighbor would say...you did

not do that with a blade! Loved proving him wrong! :horseplay:

BPjunk

Wellllllll jus' remember ....... them old round hood Lawn Rangers can plow snow (when we get snow). :hide: Note the HL-5 lights still working. :hide:

I do have a 1968 Lawn Ranger with a snow blower but have never used it because the snow blower was a NOS unit. :D

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1227367157.jpg

BPjunk

I've always wondered if the Lawn Ranger model could do a efficent job of blowing snow. :hide::hide::D:omg:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1227367770.jpg

Sparky

Bill, that snow-chucker looks real big in the picture. Is that the model the Rangers were supposed to use?

Mike..........

linen beige

Many people do not believe how high a pile a dozer blade

can create. I have had many up to 4 ft. high.

I haven't had to pile any snow up that high yet, but I've piled dirt up well over ten feet! I would have gone higher but I ran out of dirt. And I had a pile of gravel out back that was over eight feet high. To get it into place where my patio was going I cut into one edge with the blade on my 702 to start a "ramp" and after several passes of backing the 1054A up onto it, pulled it down flat with a grader box. 'Horses aint afraid of heights.

These projects pointed out the real reasons I prefer manual trannys. I can work the clutch to control motion of the tractor, lift to control blade height, and steer all at the same time. With the hydros it's just a little awkward to try working two levers and a steering wheel simultaniously with only two hands. A foot control for the motion lever would change that though.

I can see one advantage to the hydros for using a snowblower. It is much easier to match ground speed with blower speed.

Teddy da Bear

Bill.......that Ranger and blower looks a lot like the combo I have.

Our Ranger and blower worked at dad's house for some 28 years or so.

And yes....our blower would really shoot the snow.

Maybe had a lot to do with my dad bypassing the governor....lol :hide:

stevasaurus

So what if you like all that snow in your face, reminds me of some of my best days of icefishing....looking forward to winter. :hide::D :hide:

Michael Bullington

I wish we got snow!! Our winters in TN are cold enough or usually we have alot of ice...and very little snow...I would love to try out one of those snow blowers.. I might need one for my trip to IN next month...Do they mount on pick-up trucks :hide:

66horse

I finally got to plow for the first time the other day. We got around 6" or so. Was hoping for more but im sure ill see that in the next cpl months. The little 606 really surprised me. I didnt even put the chains on yet and was pushing snow uphill. I have a blower also but probably wont use it unless we get some snow that the 6hp wont push.

I couldnt even get the huskee mower from the garage to the shed on flat ground. Had to plow a path w/ the horse and still had a hard time getting it there lol.

HorseFixer

I prefer a blower in the city as it displaces the snow much better. This works better for me in tight quarters. If I had alot of room a blade would work just fine but I dont nhave that luxury :hide:

Butch

I can't believe you guys prefer a plow to a snowblower. I have a plow

but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. My WH is always apart in

the winter. :hide: I had a Toro walk behind blower when I lived

in NY and wish I'da kept it. It was great. I have a large circle driveway

and have no idea where I'd push the snow to. The blower gets rid of it.

Some a you guys must pull a fertilizer spreader behind you for spreading

salt during your plowing!! :omg: Maybe next winter I'll be ready to

plow. :D :hide:

WheelHorse_of_course

Plowing is fun!!! :hide: :banana: :horseplay:

I suspect that blowing is less so, but I am waiting for a chance to try the blower this winter.

:hide: :D