Jgoodsell

10 automatic fresh rebuild leaking oil at fuel pump

Jgoodsell

This was a fresh rebuild that my buddy helped(did most of it) me do and there is not an odd oil leak. It is leaking oil from the bottom of the fuel pump. the pump was seated well and at first I thought that maybe the seal was bad. That was unluckily not the case as I took it off and added some black platinum permatex to it to make sure it sealed. Waited a few hours and then tested it out. With no load I was able to drive around and not leak any oil. Then I dropped the mower deck and tested it out with a small section of my law that was in need. After about 5 minutes of mow I did find that it was leaking oil again. Lighter this time, but still leaking. I might add that this was just after the first oil change after a complete rebuild. I have been running it and it looks like its been doing it all along and I just never noticed it. He mentioned "Base Pressure" to me but I couldn't figure out what that meant to this situation. Anyone run into something like this?

rmaynard

Is oil leaking anywhere else? Could be a clogged or improperly assembled breather forcing oil out wherever it finds a spot.

• Like 2

slammer302

I've had them leak from the little metal pin that goes through the housing. The pump still worked fine but the pin had worn enough to let oil go through it.

Jgoodsell

I did notice that the pin on the bottom was spinning when it was running. I did not know if that was normal or not. Can this be fixed?

Shynon

I've had them leak from the little metal pin that goes through the housing. The pump still worked fine but the pin had worn enough to let oil go through it.

:text-yeahthat:

rmaynard

I did notice that the pin on the bottom was spinning when it was running. I did not know if that was normal or not. Can this be fixed?

The pin would only spin from vibrations. It does not "functionally" spin. Did you put the Permatex on the gasket between the pump and the block, or on the diaphragm surfaces between the two halves of the pump? If the diaphragm was leaking, you would probably see gasoline before you would see any oil. Since it apparently didn't leak before the rebuild, I would take a close look at the breather. It's easy to reassemble it wrong, and if the reed is pointing the wrong way, you will build up pressure inside the block and the oil will be forced out any number of places.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Or your rings have not seated yet and there is excessive blow-by

Jgoodsell

Do you know where I can find instructions on the order that it needs to be put together? I would have to take the Carb off to get to as it is in the way and wanted to be sure before I disturb that too.

rmaynard

The assembly diagram is in your Kohler service manual.

Edited by rmaynard

Jgoodsell

I am back to sorting this out again. Anyone have any more suggestions? Looks like its leaking from the pin at the bottom and one of the screws.