Horse46

K341 rebuild questions

953 nut
On 5/31/2016 at 8:22 PM, 953 nut said:

The ground lead passes the same amount of current as the other lead

The starter is your big current draw, since the ground lead to the engine is smaller it probably is the problem.

Horse46

Ok I'll change them all so they r the same thickness ( live- earth and the one on the starter ) also going to get a new exhaust clamp as I think this could be the reason I'm getting the back fire. 

List for today to include oil change, re torque the head and all the above.

if all goes to plan and it stays dry I may even attempt a 1st cut of the grass. 

Horse46

Well a mixed bag of success and frustration today, I got some new leads made so all are the same thickness, I got a new exhaust clamp, I changed the oil, tightened down the head and thought I was up for a bit of grass cutting, but alas it was not to be.

First thing I think my battery may be past its best, as the starter is still doing the same thing, I checked the battery and it was showing 12.6v and it was charged last night.

The thing that is giving me grief today is the governor, when I try to rev the motor you can feel it kicking back, I have set it and re set it as per crazy horse on youtube but do you think I can get it to operate properly.

illinilefttackle

After following this thread- I can't help but think this engine was not assembled correctly- as in timing- cam- crank- somewhere. Did you have a manual with you during assembly?- Al

• Like 1

Horse46

Yes Al i did have a manual and I read it more than once, I lined up the timing marks on the crank to the cam, the only thing I did different was to leave the balance gears out.

I did think the same though as I'm no mechanic and it is easy to make mistakes without knowing.

I'm going to ask someone to have a look for me, who know what they are doing, if that fails then I guess it's coming apart to check. 

illinilefttackle
9 hours ago, Horse46 said:

Yes Al i did have a manual and I read it more than once, I lined up the timing marks on the crank to the cam, the only thing I did different was to leave the balance gears out.

I did think the same though as I'm no mechanic and it is easy to make mistakes without knowing.

I'm going to ask someone to have a look for me, who know what they are doing, if that fails then I guess it's coming apart to check. 

The way some of these manuals are written, it's easy to interpret what they are saying 2 or 3 different ways- timing alignment too. You may have to go back to the alignment [process & check it again- Good Luck- I know its frustrating- Al