Horse46

K341 rebuild questions

meadowfield

if you do decide to abandon it, let me know...  I might be in the market for a K341 or crank...

personally I would take it to a working conclusion!   I need to spend more money on mine after £120 of outlay..

• Like 1

Horse46

Is the K341 really as good as I've read? 

It's nearly twice as powerful than my 10hp so it should be noticeable right?

I'm having a bit of a dilema on another front if I'm honest, as I've almost finished my refresh on the C-101 which happened far to quickly,  I'm thinking do I just re do the C161 rather than just poach its engine?
The thing is I don't have a need for two tractors that will do the same job, and I don't see them selling for anywhere near the investment put in. My pocket says keep one, sell one.... 

• Like 1

Aldon

If we in  the hobby had to justify our projects with "needs", there would be a glut of tractors on classifieds:-)

I would love to see you see this to closure. And My vote is to re-do the C161.

• Like 2

953 nut

Fordiesel69

I'm having a bit of a dilema on another front if I'm honest, as I've almost finished my refresh on the C-101 which happened far to quickly,  I'm thinking do I just re do the C161 rather than just poach its engine?
The thing is I don't have a need for two tractors that will do the same job, and I don't see them selling for anywhere near the investment put in. My pocket says keep one, sell one.... 

Yes the 16HP is really that good.  It has an unbeleiveable amount of power for a single cylinder.  It will use some fuel though.  A K301 12HP is a great engine that will do it all, just a lot slower.  A K241 10Hp is a bit low to be honest.  They really have to work hard.  Just my opinion of course.

Horse46
OK I have just bitten the bullet, I have purchased the piston, lets hope I don't **** it up putting it all back together.

If I had bought the kit complete from the begining I could have saved quite a considerable sum.
:roll: Ain't hind site wonderful thing?
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Yes the 16HP is really that good.  It has an unbeleiveable amount of power for a single cylinder.  It will use some fuel though.  A K301 12HP is a great engine that will do it all, just a lot slower.  A K241 10Hp is a bit low to be honest.  They really have to work hard.  Just my opinion of course.

having put one in my second 4x4, I have to agree.... mine will pull two tons on tick over, and they sound good too when worked :D

I'd like to put one in my C-101 as it is a little tired and gutless (the 4WD saps power on that too)

Horse46

Still no piston :mellow: An my engine is in a box in the boot/trunk of my car as I have lost the workshop facility at work, and I have no room in my garage as I have two horses back in there. What a todoo 

slammer302

Sounds like the perfect time to buy another horse. Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Horse46

I guess I have proven I'm out of my depth here. :tools-wrench:
My piston turned up yesterday and on the box it had written 16 010 I open it up and on the piston is .25
Well I thought Bo**** 10 days wait and I get the wrong piston!
So I contact the seller and he points out that .25 is 010, well what the hell?:kbutt:
If I had engaged my brain for a second I may have noted that.

In my defence though, I didn't expect a piston for an American motor, from the States to be in metric.
that's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it. :oops:

• Like 1

Horse46

IMG_5315.thumb.JPG.a877210ee2110c57a5addLooking at the pistons side by side, I'm of the thinking that someone has had this motor open before and tried to botch it together and hope no one notices until it goes bang, from the leaking sump to the governor gear hanging just above the cam shaft, and the tail off the con rod cap :eusa-think:

Edited by Horse46

Horse46

Well every day IS a learning day.
I spoke to an old friend of mine today, who I forgot was an engineer. I asked him a few questions about my engine, and without seeing it he gave me an in-depth report of the internals of my enigine including any known issues of reliability.
I said about my concerns of fitting the new rings and how to put the wrist pin in, because of my old piston cracking. He concluded that the old wrist pin had seized and it was my tapping that probably caused the crack, because the pin should fall in and out under normal conditions. He then proceeded to show me with the new one, and fit my piston rings for me. :D
I also got a load more info on my reassembly woes, well not anymore.
I think he would have fixed it for me too if he wasn't off on his annual migration to NZ, although he did offer to help if it was still in bits come April. 
I'm hoping to have a crack (no pun intended) this weekend if the weather is ok.

• Like 2

WH nut

One thing to remember when you reassemble the motor. The oil hole in the rod has to be towards the camshaft to oil the rod. It wont last an hour if installed wrong. Also check to see if the piston has a location mark. some will be stamped flywheel with an arrow.

• Like 1

Horse46

One thing to remember when you reassemble the motor. The oil hole in the rod has to be towards the camshaft to oil the rod. It wont last an hour if installed wrong. Also check to see if the piston has a location mark. some will be stamped flywheel with an arrow.

Yep got that covered :handgestures-thumbup:, also the marks on the conrod go the same side as the piston (groove in mine) which should make the oil hole in the cap face front to cam shaft, if I'm reading it correctly.
I just hope I just get the marks on the cam and the crankshaft aligned correctly.

Horse46

I got the motor almost back together today, I have to say though that some of the torque settings seem ridiculously high. My main concern now is getting the governor arm fitted correctly, I've read the book but it seems difficult, but I was tiered when I read it.

Horse46

My back is in bits!
I had to roll the last engine move on my sons skate board, I just didn't have another lift in me.
Still a bit to do, but I ran out of daylight so thats me probably till the weekend.IMG_5343.thumb.JPG.1e38883594298ba70542b

• Like 1

Horse46

Hey there, I'm after some advice on starting the motor after a rebuild. Is there something I should do or just stick oil in and hit the go button?
I have the governor arm to set up, and a check of all the nuts n bolts to make sure I haven't overlooked anything.

• Like 1

Shynon

As long as you lubed  everything up during assembly fill it up with oil and fire it up. Do not let it idle. I run my for 1hr at full throttle (3600 rpm) then drain oil and put fresh in. Then I use it and after 5 hrs change oil again and you should be good to go. Do not let it idle during the first 5-6 hrs. Full throttle.

• Like 1

Horse46

I've only ever had one completely new engine and that was on a bike, and run is procedure was not to over rev or let it idle. Full throttle for an hour seems excessive :eek:.

Shynon

Prondzy and I have built a dozen kohler's using this method. We actually like to pull a plow for 5hrs + after initial 1 hour run to build heat and help seat valves and get rings to wear in. You need heat with good lubrication to get motor to break in. Short runs will not help. I do not start up a new motor just to move a tractor until 5hrs of run are complete, I push it. You are correct not to over rev or idle.

Horse46

My garden doesn't have 5 hrs of work in it, I could drive it around with the deck running for a couple of hrs if the weather plays along. Does it need to be under load of could I just let it run at various speeds for an hour just to get it hot. Should I re torque the head after the 1st hr, I've taken it to 22ft lbs so far?

• Like 1

Shynon

1st hour full throttle no load. Yes cool down and re torque the head.

Horse46

Thanks Shynon, it'll have to wait till next weekend so I'll have the time to give it my full attention.

Horse46

Well that was a long weekend!

I still haven't set the governor arm, or anything else for that matter. 

Winter arrived and my garage has no light or heat :(

I do intend to get it going in the very near future, so watch out for jubilant cries or cries for help!

• Like 1

Aldon

I'm in similar boat. Waiting for winter to end!