Lost Pup

Trailer Length Needed to Tow Kwikway Loader,Tractor and Weight Bucket ?

Lost Pup

Just scored a complete Kwikway Loader and 418 Tractor. Assembled with the weight bucket in back.
Pick it up on saturday,

How long of a trailer do I need to tow it home, end to end length ?
Just want to drive it on and secure it with no dissassembly.

Standard Uhaul trailers, 8 , 9 or 12 foot long.

Thanks

MalMac

I would say go with the 12. You can curl your bucket down on itself to save on some length but I am not sure how far out your wieght box sets. I know I can get a C141 with a Ark loader with no wright box in a 8 ft pickup bed with bucket curled and still have to leave tailgate down. So with that said I would go at least 12. It will take up most of it. 

953 nut

You need a 12' trailer.

AMC RULES
:confusion-shrug:  Just a 6.5 foot bed here...

cheesegrader

A kwik way on a 520 without a weight box was not even close to fitting on my 8' trailer.
Even with a 12' I think I had to rest the bucktet on the the front bar.

leeave96

My 520H and Kwik-Way loader fit on a 10 ft trailer, bucket down - but the weights (if I remember right) hung over the front of the trailer.

Pollack Pete

Can the seller read a ruler??? Just ask him to measure the tractor and loader.Should be simple enough.

• Like 1

Brrly1

Take a 12' an be done with it! Case closed!! Kind of silly question, if you ask me.

• Like 3

Sparky

Even if it would fit on an 8' trailer.....would that trailer handle the weight? Most 8' trailers have those small 8-12" rims. Get the 12' footer and be covered for both length and weight.
Mike..........

JackC

I would go with the 12.  It will fit on a shorter trailer with the bucket hanging over the front of the trailer deck.

Edited by JackC

Lost Pup

Thanks for the replies guys, I picked up the Uhaul dual axle 12 foot trailer with built in mesh gate.  Also had to pick up a new ball hitch and the uhaul shop guys just handed me one and said to return it when i come back. Nice of them really. 

Seller called me tonight upset that he could not get the tractor started, i told him not to worry , no turning back now. I really just wanted the loader but the 418C was part of the deal. 

Question: Can we use a floor jack under the bucket to lift it for clearence ?
not sure if the pistons will  extend this way without damage, just so we can roll the tractor to the trailer.

It only a 200 plus mile drive thru Pa, Nj , then Ny so i should be back by evening. He states that he has quite a bit of
Wheel Horse equipment so i will grab some pics if i can. 

One of my teenage daughters wants to come along so she will be sure to grab some pictures to post.

Really love these hobby road trips.

Thanks Again 

• Like 2

953 nut
Since you are going through NJ it is good that you picked the 12' trailer, against the law to have things extending beyond the tail gate of a trailer there. If you want to jack the bucket up to clear the trailer be sure to put the spool valve in the up position to let the fluid go back to the reservoir and have some chains to hold it up once you jack it. Another option would be to pull the pins on the hydraulic rams.

Have a fun trip.      
:wwp:

Sea-Duck51

I had to buy a trailer off CL $700,U-Haul will not rent a trailer to tow behind a Ford Explorer even though mine is a 4WD/V-8 power,picked up a decent 5x9 with 2400lb axle,D160 W/FEL barely fit,hung over apps. 6 in and had to be dragged onto it backwards,rode great and didn't have any problems but would have preferred a larger trailer.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Lost Pup

Road trip completed. A few pics to show the 418C and Kwikway loader. Thats the 12 foot dual axle Uhaul trailer. Left at 5:00 am and returned at 2:00 pm @ 410 miles total. Trailer was a perfect tow both empty and returning with the load. nice start to the holiday weekend. :)

KW1.jpg

KW2.jpg

KW3.jpg

KW4.jpg

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Like 3

953 nut

Glad you had a good safe trip.

• Like 1

Lost Pup

Glad you had a good safe trip.

Thanks, eyes are a bit tired but I totally avoided all the Holiday traffic and delays. On the way home I saw some 15 to 20 mile delays thru NY and NJ.

We were able to just lift the  loader bucket and put a dolly in front under it and as I parked down hill of the loader with the trailer , I in  front pulling the dolly and the PO in back pushing , gravity helped and we rolled it right into the trailer. I really like that full size mesh gate , it allows as we did rolling up and in on an angle with no issue. with standard ramps you need to line up and go straight it with little margin of error. The cost of the full size mesh was only $5.00 more than the plain gate , heck $46.00 total with insurance for a day was just fine.

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Like 1

Sparky

Good choice of trailer...looks like a 10 footer would have been a wee bit short.
And of course, great find!
Mike..........

boovuc

Glad you got it home. Looks nice! 12 foot trailers are overkill if you JUST need to tow your loader tractor C, 300, 400 or 500 series WH.
I use a cheapo 5 x 10 Carry-All to haul mine around. You won't top off more than 1500 lbs with the weight bucket or filled tires with a 520-H. 
Going forward, if you plan on hauling firewood or stones, etc, then you will want to buy a 3000 or 3500 lbs axle trailer in a 5 x 10 or 6 x 10 or go bigger.

I have a rule of thumb on utility trailers. If you feel your truck or SUV dragging a bit with the trailer empty, you probably have too big a trailer for your vehicle. 

Sea-Duck51

I'm glad you got the horse home,being a retired Teamster can't tell you how many cheap trailers I've seen with the axle or hub broke off sitting on the shoulder,never max out the GVWR or your asking for trouble.

JackC

Great Haul and with a U-Haul.  Those are nice trailers with room to spare. and you do not not need to register it, maintain it, or have it take up space in your yard.  Owning a trailer and having the Wheel Horse disease can lead to problems.  Don't ask me how I know.

• Like 5

AMC RULES
:text-yeahthat: The occasional U-Haul rental...      :wacko:
has really helped me keep my :wh: numbers down. 

Brian01

lol yes, if one is going to own and buy horses all the time, one must really own a trailer. Can get costly renting U-Hauls.

:text-yeahthat: The occasional U-Haul rental...      :wacko:
has really helped me keep my :wh: numbers down. 

All others should be piled on a Cummins and hauled in for scrap...lol

IMG_20150824_114951431.jpg

• Like 2

jimt1971

Lost Pup if you need a hand I am in Trevose and I am well versed in these tractors.

Jim

• Like 1

Lost Pup

Lost Pup if you need a hand I am in Trevose and I am well versed in these tractors.

Jim

Thanks Jim , I will let you know. Got the PM as well.

Currently have a 416H in the garage. Another craigslist find, working thru its issues and plan to move the loader over to it. 

The 418C is a bit rough, the PO has wires pulled , engine tins show some work done. Belonged to the PO uncle and he said he liked to "tinker" with it so I will pull on the body tin and do the normal , fluid changes, plugs, filters, carb rebuild, gas tank flush, new lines and filter and inspect the electricial.

The loader subframe is missing one piece which the PO lost. It the front bracket which clips int the front attachmatic to then pin the diagonal supports to. I have a copy of the original WH loader docs so with the dimensions I will fab it up.