deere173

Trans drive belt

deere173

Hello. Post from a new member.  I am having a problem with the trans drive belt on a 1990 312 H tractor.  Using the original # 7473 Wheel Horse belt it appears to be too long.  The crude picture I included shows where the belt is contacting itself where it passes beneath the tensioning idler.  This is a fairly new belt and measures about 81 1/2 inches using a tape measure around the outside. Can't find specs on the official belt length but when crossed to other brands they call for a 5/8 X 82 inch belt. It appears I need something less than 81 inches. Has anyone run into this? I see no other way to route the belt. 

Belt routing.jpg

stevasaurus

Here is the information on the belt lengths you were looking for.
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1850-chart-belts-width-length-listtxt/

It appears that the #7473 is the correct belt for your horse, and by the looks of your drawing, it is too long.  Do you have the old belt?  If not, take some 1/2 clothes line and go around the pulleys, with the tension pulley in the position you think it should be in...mark and measure it.  Use the chart to find the belt number you need.  Hope that helps.  You might want to take a look at the engine mounting bolts and make sure they are not loose or missing...just a thought.  :)

gwest_ca

Looking at this chart
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1997-chart-belts-tractor-drive-1956-1999-15-pages-492-0392pdf/
the 7473 is for the 8-speed models. 5/8" x 81.92"

The 312-H shows a 108501 belt that is 5/8" x 81.5"

Belt dimensions are on the last pages in two lists - numerical and by size.

Garry

Edited by gwest_ca
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

Garry, I went into manuals and could not find the belt information for a 1990 312-H, so I used the information for the 1989 312.  Where did you find the belt # information that you have.  Just trying to improve my search skills.  Thanks  :)

Never mind Garry, I found it!!!  Man, I could spend 3 days looking around in the MISC. section in Manuals.  Excellent collection of information you have put together.  Thanks   :handgestures-thumbupright:

Deere173...that 1/2" shorter is probably going to make all the difference.  Belt #108501  :)

Edited by stevasaurus

gwest_ca

I went to the Files and did a search for Chart.
33 of them will come up and I just go through them to find the one I want.

This belt chart in many cases requires a long model number to find the correct one but the later models have the model name listed as well. The whole chart is listed by model year.

Garry

• Like 2

Racinbob
:eusa-think: I'm not sure I'm seeing your drawing correctly and understanding your description of the issue. You've got the idler on the outside of the belt??
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Installed it should look like this. :)

Drive belt.jpg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Dang Bob...I think you nailed it.  Man, I must be getting old...and going back and re-reading his post...he has the 81.5 belt.  I am going to go get lost in the Misc. Section now.  :bow-blue:

gwest_ca

Don't all the hydro models use a flat idler?

Garry

Adding
No wonder deere173 is having problems. The online parts list at Toro shows the 312-H as using the 7473 belt along with the 8-speeds.. The 108501 is not even listed. 

Edited by gwest_ca

Racinbob

Oops! I'm not familiar with hydros. That could be. Just ignore me :roll:

stevasaurus

Right Garry, but he says his belt is 81.5"...which would be the 108501 length???

gwest_ca

Right Garry, but he says his belt is 81.5"...which would be the 108501 length???

True. Wonder if the belt he has is 5/8" wide or worn? 

Garry

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Installed it should look like this. :)

For goodness sake!  You had to go out and find a brand new tractor just to show the idler pulley!  Man!  That's a nice idler pulley!

• Like 2

Racinbob

Yea, great picture but I sure stepped on my...........toes with my reply since we were dealing with a hydro here :wacko:

can whlvr

I have a 90 312-h and went through this because partstree shows the 7473,i put one on from my stash and she  didn't fit,i ended up getting one from tsc but cant remember the length off hand

• Like 1