ronhatch

gas leak around shutoff valve on C-101

ronhatch

Just gassed up my 1979 C-101 after restoring it. It started right up and runs great, but there is gas leaking around the gas shut off valve under the plastic tank which is located under the seat. There is a rubber grommet that is between the tank and valve. How do I remove it and install a new one? Does it just pull out from the tank with a firm pull? Or, is there a nut inside the tank that can either be tightened to stop the leak or removed to replace the grommet?

rmaynard

It's a push in grommet. It is probably cracked and hard. New ones are cheap.  Drain the tank, pull out the old one with a tug and a twist. When installing the new one, i always lubricate it with a touch of grease.

• Like 6

ronhatch

Got it! Thanks Bob.

Rob R

I have the same problem, what is the Part # for the grommet and/or does someone have a good spot to get one?  Thanks much

stevasaurus

I bought a new grommet and valve from TORO a few years ago.  It was about $18 and they know the part number...it is a common thing.  :)

whtractors24

bushing part # 46-6560 I have them in stock at the dealer!

ronhatch

The old grommet that I pulled out of the tank had a little bigger diameter on the end that was inside the tank. Maybe the end just swelled up because it was old and/or exposed to gas all these years? The one in the auto parts store picture has straight sides. Does the one from Toro look the same? I'll take the one for $2.09 Vs the $18.00 one if they.re basically the same.  I looked up the part# for my 1979 C-101 grommet; It's 104047.

Edited by ronhatch

BOB ELLISON

The old grommet that I pulled out of the tank had a little bigger diameter on the end that was inside the tank. Maybe the end just swelled up because it was old and/or exposed to gas all these years? The one in the auto parts store picture has straight sides. Does the one from Toro look the same? I'll take the one for $2,09 Vs the $18.00 one from Toro if they.re basically the same.  I looked up the part# for my 1979 C-101 grommet; It's 104047.

I had to replace one on my c160 almost every lawnmower repair shop carry's them. there are other lawnmower brands that use them. 
I used dish soap and put rubber in tank and push shutoff valve in hard ,slides right in  and fixed . 

clip

I had to fix mine in a pinch so I took some of the non-hardening gasket sealer (Permatex 2?) and coated it. It sets up but remains flexible, similar to RTV. It's rated for use in constant contact with gasoline.

ronhatch

Bought a new grommet this morning from my local Toro dealer for $3 and some change. Installed easily by using a little liquid soap. Good to go! 
Now onto the next problem!  :unsure:

stevasaurus

The $18 was for the grommet AND the valve.  :)

• Like 1