Tony in Australia

Kohler carburetor parts problems

Tony in Australia

Hi One and all, I did get the 312-8 1989 wheel horse but the dealer did not get it back together so that's up to me. I do have a few questions but they cover a few different areas.

The Kohler M12 Magnum carburetor float bowl seal was cut and it leaks. So far I have been able to get the parts I need from my local Toro dealer but this seal KH10002 is discontinued. Does anyone know if any of the other Kohler carburetors parts are interchangeable? The dealer is trying but lack a good base knowledge of the wheel horse tractors.

I have gotten the engine running but the Spark plug has turned Sooty Black, I am guessing it is running rich?

Well thanks in advance for any guidance once again.

Tony in AUST

rmaynard

All the Kohler 8 thru 16 hp carburetor bowls are the same. There should be a round seal to go into the groove, and an anti-splash seal to go over that. All carburetor kits whether for Carter or Walbro carbs are the same. Just ask your supplier for a standard carburetor kit. They include both seals.

And yes, a sooty plug usually indicates a "rich" condition.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

Tony in Australia

Thanks for the guidance rmaynard.

Wheel-N-It
Hey Tony, thank you for becoming a Supporter!!!

bds1984

I had a similar issue earlier this year, I needed a couple gaskets and the needle and sear for the 312-8 I recently acquired and I could only get them in a rebuilt kit that costs $45.  Well, long story short, there were new replacement carburetors on ebay ranging between $40 and $60.  I know they're some Chinese knockoff, but I've put ten hours on that machine with no issues and over twenty on my C165 without any issues as well and they both run like a watch.  I absolutely hate buying from overseas suppliers, but for the price and convenience it can't be beat. 

Wheel-N-It
From my experience the chinese knockoffs are a good carb for out old flathead Kohlers. I have however tried to use the chinese brands as a replacement for Keihin carburetors and found them to be a very poor substitute.