Sign in to follow this  
WNYPCRepair

Need 522xi throttle and governor linkage picture

WNYPCRepair

The throttle on my 522xi doesn't start to move until the lever is halfway to full throttle. I am sure it needs to be adjusted, I would like to see a picture of someone else's from above to see if it looks anything like mine. Thanks

doc724

My 520xi behaves exactly the same way.  Never bothered me much as the throttle plate is full open when the lever is all the way up

shallowwatersailor

This photo probably doesn't show what you're looking for. It is my 520xi when I first brought it home and you can see the routing of the cables. Just like Don says, both my 518xi and 520xi behave the same as what you describe. My 523Dxi though, with the Daihatsu diesel engine, does have a very positive throttle

DSCN2406.thumb.JPG.18a2039b3fbd8ac4fed5b

WNYPCRepair

Well, I guess I will make sure the throttle plate is opening all the way, and if so, not worry about it. I would feel better if it had a tach, so I knew I was getting full RPMs, but I suppose if the throttle is wide open, it's wide open.  :)

shallowwatersailor

You could get a Tiny Tach. I bought a diesel version last year but wanted to install it so that I could read it while operating on the dash. There isn't much space available on the dash, so I have been looking for something suitable that could match the angle.

In the meantime, I mounted  the tach on the DC-105 dash. Now I have to get a second one.

HemlockTom

My 522xi acts the same way.  It's like there is low and a high throttle setting, nothing in between.

shallowwatersailor

One more thing I thought of regarding the throttle on the Kohler Command 5xi versions. My 518xi has a habit of backfiring after running for a while. It seems to be a quirck of this series engines. I can let it idle down for a few minutes and sometimes it does it and sometimes doesn't backfire.

When ready to shutdown, I quickly push the throttle to full and turn the key off. It seems to prevent a backfire. 

Edited by shallowwatersailor

WNYPCRepair

You could get a Tiny Tach. I bought a diesel version last year but wanted to install it so that I could read it while operating on the dash. There isn't much space available on the dash, so I have been looking for something suitable that could match the angle.

In the meantime, I mounted  the tach on the DC-105 dash. Now I have to get a second one.

I think I will get one. I'll take a look today and figure out how/where I can mount it. Ay 3" x 1.5", it isn't all that tiny though.  :)

Edited by WNYPCRepair

shallowwatersailor

I think I will get one. I'll take a look today and figure out how/where I can mount it. Ay 3" x 1.5", it isn't all that tiny though.  :)

Rick_in_CT had one on the right side angled portion of the dash mounted sideways. You might find the photo in a thread.

• Like 1