whtoy

WHX5 was right - pulled it apart last night off sure enough that's where the condenser was -  see red arrow in photo above.

Today's question;  Is the spark plug wire just supposed to pop out of the coil?  Pulled two apart last night.
Can't see any way to attach it other than just jamming it back in the hole on the coil. 
There appears to be a spikey thingy at the bottom of the hole but can't see how that would work given the vibrations of a running engine?

Thanks to all

you screw the cable onto the threaded spike while pushing it in the hole.many generators motor cycles etc usethis method.when its tight you cant pull it out unless the end of the plug wire is bad.ifit is cut it back to a good part

jsp_333

Both popped out really easily so I'll cut the wire back a bit and give that a try tonight, and...:WRS:

cheers

• Like 1

jsp_333

I'm still in shock
Replaced condenser/  magneto/  coil/  flywheel hooked it up to the gas tank and damn I've got family stuff to do.
The boy is running late so I  think what the hell give the thing a pull.  
Sonofabitch it turned over and caught and ran on the first pull.
Still can't believe it.  Thought this moment was months away.

Will be posting video to utube later. 

• Like 2

953 nut
:woohoo:                 Don't run it too long without the tins on to cool it.           :text-coolphotos:

jsp_333

WooHoo is right. I'm still pumped about actually getting the engine to fire.

Thanks, I'll get them right away but how do the tins work to cool the engine? 
I would've thought the exact opposite.

AMC RULES
Fins on the flywheel move air...
tins trap and circulates that air from around the block, up through the fins on the head. 
  • Like 1

jsp_333

Wow - Thanks I'll get them on now.
Engine is throwing a lot of smoke and not through the exhaust pipe.
It looks like the head gasket is melting.  Don't have a torque wrench so I just tightened the head bolts as best I could.
I'll try running it with the tins and see what happens

AMC RULES
New head gasket's are cheap...
sent you the link.   

MikesRJ

Head gaskets can be had for about $10-15 at Napa Auto Parts. Put the tins on as they are designed to channel cooling air correctly around the engine while running.

slice15061

any chance you would be willing to part with one of those carbs? the k90 im rebuilding has a crack in carb housing:(

jsp_333

All
Thought it best to let everyone know...
Yes I have 4 k-90's, closer to 3 now.
Yes I will be selling anything I don't feel I need.
Unfortunately with the weather turning and me stuck in an un-heated garage  means work on the
engine portion of the rj will probably grind to a halt shortly. Also I'm don't plan on letting go of anything
until the rj is fully functional. Sorry.  I know what everyone is going through because as I mentioned at the beginning of the post it took me about 14 months to locate the ones I found.  On the up side I'm still looking.  Found 2 more yesterday but haven't heard back from the seller.  So everyone hang in there but realistically it will be next spring at the earliest before I start selling. So anybody that has already asked I will offer things to first.

Edited by jsp_333
correct text flow