Racinbob

Steering Wheel Repair

AMC RULES
Really does look great now Bob...     :eusa-clap:
but, we'll have to revisit this to see how well it holds up. 
  • Like 1

Racinbob

Thanks Craig and I agree about it holding up. Being a truck bed liner I'm optimistic though.

WHX??

Keep us posted Bob & throw a pic on of what you used.....I have one that every time you grab it it turns your hands black so I am going to have to do something with it. Mine has a few small cracks but no gouges, what did you use to fill the cracks in? The bedliner stuff? Friends suggested the in a can undercoating.

Racinbob

Here's the stuff. Unfortunately that's an internet picture. I tossed the can I bought. I always clean the nozzles on rattle cans doing the invert thing and pulling the nozzle off to really clean it. Ummmm....don't do that with this stuff. It screws it up and there was a lot left in the can :(

Any body filler should be fine. I used Bondo Plastic Metal because I had it. I don't think undercoating would work well because it never really gets hard. I used 180 grit to sand it which is too course for paint but worked well in this situation. It's thick enough to completely hide the sanding marks. I think it will hold up quite well but time will tell. Of course it's not 'original' but I like the grippy feel.

Bed liner.jpg

• Like 3

DennisThornton

Looks great!  You've done this before?  The filling part?  And it held up well?

Edited by DennisThornton
p to a d

Racinbob

The filling part, yes. But then I used paint in the past. The filler held up fine, the paint too figuring the situation. This is the first time with the bed liner.

Jake Kuhn

Looks good Bob! I primed and painted the one on my 57 and am happy with it, but this looks great too. I like the idea of the bed liner and a different type of grip. Also interested to hear how it holds up over time, but I wouldn't think you'd have issues. 

DennisThornton

Man!  It looks good!  Got a Power King wheel that I'm itching to work on!

Edited by DennisThornton
added "s"

Molon_Labe

Bob, great minds really do think alike! I did the exact same thing to my Suburban and could not have been more pleased with it. The bed liner holds up as you would expect and should give the old girl another 50 years of good service. 

SAM_0771.JPG

SAM_1255.JPG

• Like 6

Racinbob

If your mind works like mine all the time you should be very worried :blink:

That looks great. What spray liner did you use. If different it gives the others options.

• Like 1

953 nut
Another alternative would be "Plasti Dip". It is made for coating tool handles so you know it is tough and it comes in colors in the event you want to be different. I used it on the under side of a mower deck a few years back and it has held up well.
  • Like 3

Molon_Labe

If your mind works like mine all the time you should be very worried :blink:

That looks great. What spray liner did you use. If different it gives the others options.

Same products Bob, Duplicolor Bed Liner and 3M Plastic Metal for filler.

SAM_0764.JPG

SAM_0776.JPG

• Like 2

WHX??

I was thinkin the plasti dip stuff as well. Any body know what they used to originally make these wheels?
I'm also thinking I may needto see some more pictures of Bailey's Suburban. ...lookin awfully cherry from what I saw:handgestures-thumbupright: