KC9KAS

520 H Problems

KC9KAS

I have had nothing but problems with my GT's this weekend!
875 won't move and the 520 H blows the 15 amp fuse.

Couldn't mow because the 875 won't pull its self, and the 520 H keeps blowing the 15 amp fuse, and the other tractor with a mower is in the portable garage behind a bunch of stuff that I don't feel like moving right now, so I won't be mowing this weekend!

squonk

I would give up for the weekend too. Bad things come in three's!

KC9KAS

Yeah, next thing you know mama will tell me she is with child!

• Like 2

AMC RULES
  • Like 1

Save Old Iron

you should be able to mow with the 520, the 15 amp fuse only controls the headlights and gauges.

mikekot3

If the 15 amp fuse has the headlights on it clean with some sandpaper the connections and see if your voltage drop goes away. The low voltage in the circuit causes amperage to go up.
In  a 15 amp circuit you show only be using a max of 7.5 amps.

• Like 2

Save Old Iron

I think Georg Ohm just rolled over in his grave.

• Like 7

KC9KAS

you should be able to mow with the 520, the 15 amp fuse only controls the headlights and gauges.

When the 15 amp fuse blows, everything is dead....no nothing, nada, zilch....Replace the fuse, it starts right up and runs a minute or 2 then pop and nothing.....dead in the water.

Haven't done much trouble shooting yet, but (before all this trouble)  every time I turn the lights "on", the volt meter drops to 12 volts or <. Probably start at the lights.
According to the schematic, the pink wire from the accessory terminal on the key switch goes (fuse 1st) then to the headlight switch and to an air filter switch as well as ALL the other gauges on the panel (except vacuum gauge)..

Edited by KC9KAS

can whlvr

probally a short in a wire or connector

Save Old Iron

When the 15 amp fuse blows, everything is dead....no nothing, nada, zilch....Replace the fuse, it starts right up and runs a minute or 2 then pop and nothing.....dead in the water.

Haven't done much trouble shooting yet, but (before all this trouble)  every time I turn the lights "on", the volt meter drops to 12 volts or <. Probably start at the lights.
According to the schematic, the pink wire from the accessory terminal on the key switch goes (fuse 1st) then to the headlight switch and to an air filter switch as well as ALL the other gauges on the panel (except vacuum gauge)..

I just finished troubleshooting with another member here - 15 amp fuse would blow and tractor would not run without a fuse in place. Turns out the 15 amp and 30 amp fuses were reversed in their positions in the fuse holder. When I checked the wiring diagram for the 15 amp fuse, all it controlled were the gauges, headlights and indicator pod power.

Might be worth checking the fuse positions.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/58405-520-h-wont-start-hour-meteroil-sensor/?page=2#comment-539906

near the end - post #37

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 4

KC9KAS

OK, Save Old Iron hit the nail on the head.....The 15 amp fuse was in the 25 amp slot, and a 20 amp fuse was in the 15 amp slot.
I put the 15 amp fuse in the correct slot and only had a 20 amp fuse. I put that into the 25 amp slot and it quickly blew.....
I didn't have a 25 amp fuse, but had a 25 amp circuit breaker. I wired it into place and mowed about an hour.
Once when I went from F to R it tried to die...This is what seemed to cause the blown fuse in the 1st place....going into R.
Does this make sense?

953 nut

Check out the linkage to see if a wire may be pinching or chafing because of the linkage.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

On my 520, there is a bundle of wires that were installed too tight (from the factory I think!) that were being cut right were the two cover plates meet at the base of the dash tower, so when I was fiddling with the drive lever the tower would flex making them touch things they werent supposed to.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Check out the linkage to see if a wire may be pinching or chafing because of the linkage.  :twocents-02cents:

That is what I was thinking.

On my 520, there is a bundle of wires that were installed too tight (from the factory I think!) that were being cut right were the two cover plates meet at the base of the dash tower, so when I was fiddling with the drive lever the tower would flex making them touch things they werent supposed to.

Thanks Brandon...I will check that out

I need to get all 10 of my GT's working so we (family) can participate in a parade in 4 weeks.

• Like 1

squonk

What I want to know is where is this fuse slot switching fairy going to strike next?

• Like 2