Xjchief

520-h followed me home

Xjchief

So I finally got one off my list a good running 520-h. Starts and runs great, I'm new to the hydro scene so I need to know what I have to change for oil and filters and where I can get them. Also what oil and filter should be run on these onan motors?also the dash lights on the gauges are on but headlights and tail lights aren't and the tach doesn't work any suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

image.jpg

• Like 4

cheesegrader

Check your 15 amp fuse, and clean out the fuse block if there is any evidence of grass clippings  or debris around the contacts.
That would explain the light failure.  Not sure about the tach.
You can run 10-30 in the engine and hydro, although some will run straight 30 in the engine in the summer.
I use synthetic 10-30 in the hydro--it seems to eliminate the need for hydro warm-up in the winter, but it is really cold here, so you may not have as many problems.
Oil filter is Wix 51762, NAPA gold 1762, Toro NN10143
hydro filter is Toro 108335 or 79-5270, Wix 51410, NAPA 1410

Good looking tractor for the age.
Check your wheel bearings and allingment on the front.
Looks like a lot more wear on the left front compared to the right.

MalMac

I agree on the oil, I use 10-30 Mobil 1 and have had very good results. Also go with the Wix or NAPA gold filter as mentioned. These tractors are prone to having transmission warm up issue when really cold out and by using the Mobile 1 it really helped mine.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Chief, best of luck with your 520. As some say the onan is touchey. Keep everything clean around those engine tins, and clean oil for engine and trans, dont skimp use new filters to. Far as the electric gremlins dont have any advice except to search around, might be a short somewhere. Very clean and nice one you got. I remember when I got mine, you could hear and feel the power. Also, if your budget allows in the future, get Matts pedal kit. Holy smokes, a whole new tractor, brings it up to the next level of operator comfort. You wont believe the differance.

glenn

608KEB

Check your 9 pin connector from engine to tractor. I had 2 tachometer's on 520H's that did not work because of a poor connection. Also clean the fuse block as best you can. I just adjusted valves and cleaned the carbon off the heads and pistons. That's not to bad of a job. I bought a 520 almost 3 years ago...now I have 4! They are so smooth. And with the bigger tires, wider front end and reduced steering. They are fun to operate. I do however like the location of the hydraulic lever better on the B and C series. I have 2 with the foot pedal. I would suggest getting that! Have fun. The tractor looks like it was well taken care of.:bow-blue: :banana-dreads:

• Like 1

muz123

Great find! How many hours?

Xjchief

The meter says 697 not bad 

Xjchief

Check your 15 amp fuse, and clean out the fuse block if there is any evidence of grass clippings  or debris around the contacts.
That would explain the light failure.  Not sure about the tach.
You can run 10-30 in the engine and hydro, although some will run straight 30 in the engine in the summer.
I use synthetic 10-30 in the hydro--it seems to eliminate the need for hydro warm-up in the winter, but it is really cold here, so you may not have as many problems.
Oil filter is Wix 51762, NAPA gold 1762, Toro NN10143
hydro filter is Toro 108335 or 79-5270, Wix 51410, NAPA 1410

Good looking tractor for the age.
Check your wheel bearings and allingment on the front.
Looks like a lot more wear on the left front compared to the right.

so to do an oil change on the trans/hydro is it as cut and dry as drain it change the filter then fill it back up through the dipstick under the seat? or is the trans oil different than the hydro oil.excuse my ignorance im a newbie when it comes to hydro. 

bmsgaffer

The hydro uses the transaxle as a reservoir, so yep, its the same. 10W-30 (prefer synthetic!).

Drains out the bottom (tip front up to get most out) and I would recommend leaving the filter off when you fill it back up or you will be waiting for ages. The dipstick fill takes forever. Just have something to catch any spatter you might get out of the oil filter mount. (lots of air comes out there with some pressure behind it). Then I pre-fill the filter about halfway so it spends less time with no pressure on startup.

WHX??

Go to the manuals section and see if any for a 520H are there. They would be a big help on doing the basic maintenance.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

Trans oil change is like an engine oil change with a few small details.
The hydro filter can be hard to get a grip on.  Sometimes you need to take the left rear wheel off to make room for a proper filter wrench.
The hydro fill tube has a very bad habit of "burping".
Fill very slowly.  Venting by leaving the filter off helps up to a point.  
THere is a way to vent by removing a bolt in the hydro case, but I have no experience with that trick

Xjchief

Thank you guys that's what I needed to know. Update cleaned the fuse block and replaced fuses. gauges work and light up but I still have to work on the headlights /tail lights 

Edited by Xjchief

shelbyv8

Be sure to to check your bulbs before digging to far in the wiring.  Vibration on tractors is hard on bulbs.

Tankman
Great Horse! Looks to be in fine condition.

Is the Ms. believing, "followed me home"? How'd you do that? 
:huh:

Xjchief

So figured it out headlight switch bad and one headlight bad. Where can I get a new switch toro is really expensive 

Brian01

cdsl810

Regarding the hydro oil filter...

I have found the Wix 57102 to be a more Toro/Wheel Horse correct specification. Both the 51410 and the 57102 will fit and are proper hydro filters w/o check valves, but the 51410 is 21 micron--the 57102 is 10 micron (same as Toro 79-5270). It is more expensive, however. About $23, to be exact. That's still half the price of the Toro 79-5270.

And, the Wix 51764 is the same specs as the 51762, but with the bonus of a hex fitting on the end (0.695" longer due to hex nut)--if you find that sort of thing useful.

Edited by cdsl810
Added info
  • Like 1

whtractors24

nice find! dash lights in the 520 are running all the time without headlights.