Furious

Wheel Horse 1277

Furious

Have an opportunity to pick up a 1277 with from blade for $400. The tractor had been partially restored and is in great condition but...  The engine needs a new carb or a carb rebuild and the ignition wiring doesn't work. You have to jump the starter. Anyone have any thoughts?  This is my first experience with older Wheel Gorse tractors. Are parts available?  How sturdy/rugged are these machines?  Thanks 

slammer302

I think you will be fine as long as its only a carb problem and wiring is pretty easy to get right on the older wheel horses we love pictures you should post sum if you have any

Furious

I'll definitely post some after I get it home.  Are 1277's good machines?  I plan on restoring this, but I also plan on using it as a worker. 

• Like 1

squonk

Make sure the hydro is ok also

953 nut
:WRS:     The 1277 is a great  :wh:, in spite of the shortcomings it sounds like it is priced right. A wiring diagram can be downloaded here and carburetor kits are easy to come by. I would suggest that you try out the transmission before buying it. Put the front plow against a tree and put it in forward at high RPMs, it should try to bury itself, back up to it and do the same in reverse. If the tranny is good you have found a winner. The starter problem may very well be the ignition switch itself, if that is the case let us know and we can talk about options available to you.
:text-welcomeconfetti:   to  :rs:
  • Like 4

Furious

Should I expect durability issues with the hydro transmission?  Like I said, I plan on using this tractor to plow and pull at the very least. 

Sparky

They are very rugged....but I personally wouldn't want make a 48 year old hydro tractor my "worker tractor". If you are going to make it a worker you will want to get the tranny good and warmed up to be sure its still strong when hot. Without pics I cant say if $400 is a good price or not and what one person calls partially restored may not be what another considers partially restored. 
Mike.........

Furious

Thanks Mike. I'll send pics when I get it home.  I understand your concerns. I am very carful with my old machinery and will definitely treat it right. Since this is a side project, I can afford the time to rebuild the hydro should it need it. My concerns were more about overall durability if the machine. I don't want to spend the time and money investing in tractor with a known weak tranny. Sounds like they just need to be taken care of. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Within reason, them ol' 1277's can make for some beastly :wh: machines.  
                 IMG_3119.thumb.JPG.28cc3570be114e5dc3894IMG_3120.thumb.JPG.f7eee206dc1b08f047987        :wwp:     :WRS: 

• Like 8

Furious

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Can't wait to get it home so I can start tinkering. Where'd you get the front loader rig?  I
 don't need one, but I want it!

• Like 1

Furious

Just got the 1277 home. Maybe someone can answer some questions for me. 

First, the engine is a K301 12HP. It runs, however, only at a set rpm, and only with the choke set exactly right.  Otherwise, it will start, run for about 5 sec then stop. If I move the choke quickly when it's dying, it'll run for another 5 sec ten die again. Do I need a new carb?  If so, any ideas where I could get one for the K301 engine? Mother spec umber is 47176.

953 nut
:woohoo:   Glad you got it. Chances are the carburetor just needs a good cleaning and a new needle and seat. You can pick up a kit on Ebay.   :wwp:
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

Fuel delivery.  Pull the float bowl first.  Make sure the float drops and the needle is not stuck.  Look for crap in the bowl.  Clean it good, replace and check how it runs.  If still bad check fuel delivery to the carb.  If bad work your way back to the tank.  Fuel filter, lines, fuel valve if it has one.  Even the drain could be plugged.  Pull and clean the tank if you have to.  My last WH purchase wouldn't even start because of fuel issues from carb to the tank drain.  I cleaned and blew out everything and she ran fine!  

Good luck and holler back with your results!